What should come first...sand filter? Or SWG for 16x48 agp

I can only afford one or the other this summer. And now that they are starting to go on sale i need some advice. Does anyone recommend getting a sand filter first and then next year maybe a SWG (intex Krystal clear)? Or the other way around. I use the BBB method and my pool water is amazing. Should I just continue with the Clorox and get a sand filter?

Thank you
I love, love, love my Summer Escapes pro series pool!!!!

Re: What should come first...sand filter? Or SWG for 16x48 a

I second the choice of sand filter. You won't be disappointed. Switching to SWG hasn't been half as exciting as I expected it to be, but the sand filter I am in love with!

Sand filter. You can use bleach to do the same job as an SWG. But your stock pump and filter cannot do near the quality job as a sand filter. In other words, an SWG cannot do anything that you can't do with bleach. It's not a necessity. To get good filtering, you need to replace the stock pump/filter system.

:goodjob: Thanks everyone...sand filter it is. What size? 1600?

That's what I love about asking questions here....I had a pool store person laugh at me when I answered his question about what kind of chlorine I used. He told me "pool" chlorine was NOT the same as Clorox, and then tried to sell me shock, pucks , clarifier, phoso stuff. :hammer: UGH!!! I left the store with a .69 cent clearance item, and a vow to never go back.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Kargar4 said:
What size? 1600?
My neighbor has a 1600 with the same size pool as yours and it has worked great for him, including cleaning up two algae outbreaks :hammer: . With that said, there are reports here on tfp that suggest that intex 2650 sand filter is a good step up in terms of being able to vacuum better, not that the 1600 can't vacuum. Also, one user of the 2650 that plumbed it to their existing return collar fitting had problems with the return adapter "blowing off".

2 friends have the same pool as me (8,000) gallons. I have the 2650 sand filter, they both have the 1600. Their pools are just as clear as mine (fantastic in other words!!), and they are having no problems at all with pool maintenance, circulation, or filtering whatsoever. The only difference is backwashing. They will probably have to backwash a bit more than I do. Not a big deal. That being said, when it comes to filtering, bigger is always better, but better is not always necessary.

Kargar4 said:
I had a pool store person laugh at me when I answered his question about what kind of chlorine I used. He told me "pool" chlorine was NOT the same as Clorox, and then tried to sell me shock, pucks , clarifier, phoso stuff. :hammer: UGH!!!
How could you not have known they were different, the labels aren't even the same! :suspect:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.