high clorine level

Domino

Jun 22, 2012
after having the pool covered for a couple of days the Chlorine Drop test was off the chart (dark yellow). We have had the SWG off for several days but the Chlorine is still off the chart. The water looks great but should we be concerned? Should we do something to lower the level?

Also realize that the OTO test measures TC (total chlorine = FC + CC). So, it could look high because of high CC (not good).

Since your water sounds clear, that is less likely, but another reason to invest in a good test kit.

As mentioned - taking the cover off will speed up the break down of chlorine fairly rapidly.

One thing to keep in mind - your idea of "very high chlorine" isn't taking CYA into account. A very yellow OTO test (10-15ppm) is most likely somewhere below the correct shock level for your pool - but it all depends on the CYA level. If you know your CYA level post it and we can help you get a sense of how "high" your chlorine levels actually were/are.

There is a lot of great information in Pool School about the CYA/FC relationship and how it works.

Sorry guys, as soon as I sent the post I knew I should have included more info.
We do test using a T-100 kit. A couple days ago the numbers were:
FC - 13
CC - 0
CYA - 65

Thanks again for any input. This is our first season with the pool so we are definitely newbies at this.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.