Equipment Upgrade Quote

phipsi1237

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 16, 2011
Tularosa, NM
Here's the first quote I received on the equipment upgrade we've been discussing here: equipment-upgrade-with-easy-touch-t50807.html

Pentair EZTOUCH8 IC40 $1,601.00
CVA Actuator 100.00
Intelliflo VS3050 Pump 949.00
3-Port Jandy Valves x4 267.80
1 Jandy Check Valve 90 Degree 60.00
Misc, PVC, Fittings, Conduit wire, Paint 85.00
Promo Energy Rebate (200.00)
Wireless 8 Controller 560.00

SUBTOTAL $3,422.80
SALES TAX 277.25
LABOR 750.00
TOTAL $4,450.05

I think the hardest part of this quote for me to swallow is the labor, when I'm sure I could get through it myself. I'll ask them about the 3 year warranty thing as well. That would make the labor worth it. I think I might have to purchase a filter to qualify. I just noticed they left off the 2 Intellibrites as well. I'll update later.

After July 31, I lose the Promo Energy Rebate. I'm not if this is a utility company or pool store's rebate. NV Energy's site says their rebate on pool pumps has been suspended. I'm not sure if the pool store knows this yet.

Thanks....Bill

PS: I worked on the formatting to make the quote line up but gave up. Sorry.

I will just point out that most of the prices are a little high ... especially for not already including the labor.

All your Jandy valves are about $50 each online delivered.
And an Intermatic actuator can be had for $60 online.
There have been Intelliflo for less than $900.
The EZtouch and controller might be about 10% high as well.

There are times it is cheaper to buy the equipment yourself and give up the rebate than to have to buy from a "authorized dealer" to get the rebate. Although there is also the question of if you need someone to install it for you ... they may not if you do not buy from them.

Just a heads up.

Not a bad price on most of the equipment, except the Jandy valves. I'm surprised they will honor the three year warranty because Pentair told me that they will only do this with, according to an email from them, with two major equipment upgrades plus something like an Intellibrite, and they all have to be purchased on the same receipt. I didn't know this going in, and despite purchasing two Intellibrites, an Intelliflo and an EasyTouch 8 with the IC60 SWCG over a period of about 3 months, they will not extend the three year warranty to my purchases (which I personally think is very lame now that I truly understand their policy). In any event, I think the $750 installation is worth it if you can get the guarantee on the three year warranty up front. Setting up the plumbing on the pump and valves, and then installing the EasyTouch is going to be time consuming. I'm all for DIY, but I'd go for the deal you've been quoted just to save headaches and have the extended warranty.

Revised quote including the Intellibrites and IntellipH.

Pentair EZTOUCH8 IC40 $1,601.00
CVA Actuator 100.00
Intelliflo VS3050 Pump 949.00
3-Port Jandy Valves x4 267.80
1 Jandy Check Valve 90 Degree 60.00
Misc, PVC, Fittings, Conduit wire, Paint 85.00
Promo Energy Rebate (200.00)
Wireless 8 Controller 560.00
Intelli PH Controller 510.00
Intellibrite Spa light 100' 453.00
Intellibrite Pool Light 100' 554.00

SUBTOTAL $4,939.80
SALES TAX 400.12
LABOR 750.00
TOTAL $6,089.92

He left the labor the same although installing 3 additional pieces of equipment. He did say that I would have to drain the pool as they don't pull lights with water in the pool.

I understand I can get every piece of equipment cheaper online. Factoring in the $200 rebate, I figured it's costing about $200-$250 more. However, I'm establishing rapport with a local business and will have a 3 year parts/labor warranty. Overall, I could probably do it myself for $1000-$1500 less. I'd rather the 3 year warranty and not have to worry about doing it myself. I'm pretty handy, but I'm a perfectionist, meaning it would take me forever!!! Thanks for all the replies.

Bill

Or, consider the Autelis Intellitouch controller. This will soon be able to control Easytouch systems, is cheaper, and offers support for any web browser for remote control (e.g. Android, etc), not just iPhones. It acts as a web server that controls the Intellitouch/Easytouch via its RS485 communications port.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I sent the "pool guy" an email saying I'd rather have the ScreenLogic2 with wireless adapter kit instead of the ET8 Wireless Controller. His reply, "That product is discontinued." Is there any truth to that whatsoever? Why would he tell me that? Seems as though Pentair pushes it pretty hard.

EDIT: Also, kinda raises a flag about the whole thing.

Wow. You couldn't tell via their website, still very much being sold.

Check out A1poolparts.com. It's where I got all my automation equipment. They occasionally have great discount specials ( I bought everything from them 20% off their list prices with one).

Possibly he doesn't sell it or know how to install it?

If you have any experience with electrical, they are intimidating, but not difficult to install and program yourself. But it would be a big undertaking for someone to jump into with both feet. I did it. Very intimidated but I bulled through it successfully. The guys on the forums here were of great help.

Here's the link:

http://www.autelis.com/pool-control-for ... touch.html

The Easytouch is still in the works, but not far behind hopefully. I don't think this is as full-featured as the Screen Logic 2, but has the advantage that its fully self-contained. It serves as the web server, and you can control special functions with HTML code through it. If you have an HA system with a web server, it is possible to bridge the HA with the pool automation using the Autelis. I'm setting ours up over the weekend, at least for some testing.

I think I'll just go with the ET8 Wireless controller for now. It'll save me about $500, I think. I can always add the ScreenLogic later, right? Will it work with the ET8 wireless controller if their both wireless from the panel?

I'm about to give them the go to do the work. Should I pay for everything upfront? Or should I just pay for the products, then pay for the labor after the install? I've heard horror stories with pool contractors being paid everything up front. Thanks.

One more question about the pump. I had initially only asked for a quote on the Intelliflo pump. He gave me the quote, and told me "The model number is for the 4x160 Plus #011018." The quote above with the rest of the equipment says the VS3050. Isn't that the older one?

I would never pay anyone 100% upfront. The most I would do is 50% upfront. Anyone that requires 100% payment is either 1. Not confident in their work or 2. hurting for money in a struggling business and personally I would not want either doing work for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.