Help! Soapy water ... Saltwater pool

New to pool world and learning a lot... Sometimes painfully! Have index above ground 16 foot pool with salt water system. Been awesome and low maintenance until two weeks of 100 degree weather. The water was looking cloudy and a tint of green... And water boatmen moved in. I read on a forum that algaecide would kill the bugs and take care of green algae. Added 16 oz of algaecide 50% ... Which I've discovered was too much!!! Killed all the bugs and water is clear but now the water feels and taters soapy. When kids splash... Makes small soapy bubbles.

Do I need to drain some water? If so how much.
I tested it and the alkalinity is high. Though I don't feel confidant with my skill at reading the strips!!!

Wishing I wouldn't have added the agaecide!!!

Hardness 100
Free chlorine strip is white ... Does that mean zero????
Ph 6.4 to 6.8
Alkalinity 240. ( end color on strip)
Cy acid light yellow. Zero????

:wave: Welcome :wave:

It was the algaecide that caused your foam ... as you now hopefully realize, there is no need to that stuff ... just adequate FC.

You can not trust the test strips ... you should invest in one of the recommended test kits.

Hard to really give advice based on the test strips.

I can say that you should read Pool School and go through the shock process outlined there. The extra FC will kill all the algae and remove the affect of the algaecide. However, it is more inefficient trying to go through that process without the proper test kit.

I would highly, highly suggest you buy the recommended testing kit. The pool store gives you inaccurate information and the test strips are worthless. It's worth the 65 bucks to keep your pool clean and sanitized and with little ones their safety is your top priority.

Hi Scrapnmama and welcome to TFP! :)
Almost 3 years ago I bought a new 15' X "48 Intex pool.
Pool store always had me adding something all the time and I was really never happy with the water...seemed they just wanted me keep coming in and having my water tested. Free testing! (just to buy this, then next week , Oh, you need this...)
2nd season, I just wanted to try to understand pool water chemistry, did a Google search and landed here last year in April.
I did some reading here and I realized it was really all about not using the pool store and testing your own water and adjusting what the pool water needed. Well that sounded good to me...after dealing with the pool store the year before. I did get the TF-100 test kit and because I wanted to learn faster to test a lot (slow learner) I added the XL option.
I followed these instructions here:
what-we-need-to-know-to-answer-your-questions-t10341.html
Posted my test results with my new kit and got a overwhelming amount of replies and help. :shock:
When that happened, I knew I was in the right place! :cool:
It will be hard at first, but will become very elementary in a short time.
Get your test kit, start a post and we can help you on to a Trouble Free Pool. :whoot:

Chuck

Scrapnmama said:
Wow!!!! Amazing fast helpful service... I'm so glad I stumbled across this forum. I will track down a Taylor kit tomorrow a.m. and post results here!
If you're buying local, you want a K-2006. DO NOT let them sell you a K-2005, they're not the same, no matter what the salesman says. It has to say FAS-DPD, not just DPD. If you shop at Leslies, this is their part number http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Pool-Ch ... 81329.html

http://tftestkits.net sells the TF100 with all the same reagents, just in more useful sizes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.