Pump leak between basket and impeller housing

Camman

May 25, 2012
Raymond, NH
I noticed recently I was losing water over the course of a week and I thought it was due to a leaky hose between the skimmer and pump, I replaced that hose because it looked worn and after I noticed it appear there was a steady leaking coming from what I believe is the impeller housing (if that's the correct terminology), basically the plastic section where the output is attached between the pump basket and the motor.

Today I tried to take the motor off of the stand (it is screwed into a stand alongside the sand filter) but unfortunately the screw housing appears to be stripped so I gave up for the moment and thought I would do a search to see if it was worth going to all this trouble or if I need to buy a new pump. I have been searching for a couple of days for a gasket or o-ring to replace but I cannot find any places that appear to carry parts for the pump I have

It is a PROLINE Model SD-10-1N11VB, but I cannot find stores that carry parts for it.

Is this pump just so old that no one carries parts for it? I'm trying to decide if I should keep searching for whatever gasket or seal may need replacing between the pump basket and the impeller housing or if I should just drop the money and buy a new pump.

Your help is appreciated!

Thanks!

For more clarification I took a picture and circled the part that I believe the leak is originating from, the drip is directly below this piece which after looking again does not appear to be the impeller housing but actually the connection between the pump basket and the impeller housing, my assumption is that there is likely a gasket or an o-ring inside this housing because it appears there are screws on top and bottom to remove the pump basket from this portion of the pump, is my thinking correct on that?

[attachment=0:3uc0k8ib]pumpleak.jpg[/attachment:3uc0k8ib]

Thanks so much for your response! I am going to try to get the pump off that stand tomorrow, I think I am going to have to cut the top of that screw off, and then I'll dismantle that coupling. Any suggestions on where to find a replacement gasket/o-ring? Are these things normally a standard size? I think there is a NAMCO probably about 20 minutes from here

I have a similar problem with a Hayward Power-flo matrix S210T 1 HP motor. Sometimes I can get the water level to the top of the cover, but usually it just bubbles and loses level whenever suction (vacuums) is applied. I see a visible leak at the same place as Camman describes- but not sure exactly where it is coming from. I want to make sure I have parts available when I take it apart...is it likely a gasket/o-ring or do you think it could be the impeller or seal? I hate to get parts I won;t need, but want to minimize the time without pump. thanks

I was finally able to get the pump off that stand, disassembled that split coupling and then took a look at it, there is no gasket or seal between the impeller housing and the basket, it looks like the basket and the impeller cover plate are just mated together and then this split coupling is joined around them and it had some teflon tape on it. I tried re-applying some teflon tape and then reassembling the whole thing but it was then leaking much worse than before so apparently I did something wrong, I need to pull it back out and attempt to re-attach the split coupling more tightly because what I did obviously made it worse.

Bama Rambler said:
That connection between the casing neck and the basket should have an o-ring.

I did a search for a Proline pump and didn't find anything.

Yeah I'm not sure if it's just a really old pump or what is the deal, we bought the house last year and the pool w/ equipment was here when we moved in, I appreciate you taking a look for me though, I had the same result and didn't find anything other than Craigslist posts for people selling hot tubs with Proline pumps.

After taking it apart again I see where the O-ring should go, there is a little channel on the basket side that looks like an O-ring should slide into. I was able to tightened it up quite a bit and went from a pretty consistent stream to a less frequent drip so I guess I'll see how much water I'm losing now and then just let it go till the end of the season and then either buy a new pump or see if I can hunt down an o-ring that will fit.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.