Question about Borates

JulieS

Jun 17, 2012
Michigan
I have read everything that I can find about adding borax to my pool. It sounds like a great idea, and I am excited to go forth. The only question that I have that I cannot find an answer for is, during the 48 hour wait to test, can you still use the pool, or will this short process render my pool unusable for a few days?

:?

You can use the pool when the Borax is completely disolved, the pH is back in the normal range, and the pump has run for several hours. You need to brush as well. If going from zero borates to 50 ppm, the recommendation is to do it in two steps. 1/2 of the Muriatic Acid, then q1/2 of the Borax, then thoroughly mix. Repeat.

OK to swim assumes that your water is clear, and FC is below shock levels as well.

Thank you so much for the rapid answer! I was thinking doing it in the evening, following the directions from "So you want to add borates to your pool--Why and How", then running my pump all night. That sound okay?

I am almost there! I have been aerating to raise my pH, then adding the pH Minus to lower the TA, rinse and repeat. I'm down to 90, so I have a little ways to go. I like to be as prepared as possible before taking on a task. Also, I want to have my new sand filter pump up and running before going through with this!

The evening is the perfect time to get this done. I would echo the critical importance of having that TA as perfect as you can get it before adding Borates. Do not forget to run your pump for 24 hours after adding Borates.

My parents just took their pool through this process, with the help of TFP, and it went very well.

Get ready to sparkle!

What's your fill water TA? If you haven't tested it, do that.

I ask because since you're lowering TA, 70-80 is considered good for borates. But if you've got high TA fill water, I'd suggest lowering to 70 instead of stopping at 80ppm.

And, yes, once you hit your target you're ok to do the borates. No need to wait. It might rise a little when you do the borates anyway. Last time I did this I gained ~5ppm TA (but also settled at 7.4 instead of 7.2 for pH).

My fill water does have a very high TA (270), and it has been a struggle to stay in range. I have been told MANY times that being in range doesn't matter for a vinyl pool, but I try to stay in range anyway. I tested my TA again tonight and I'm still holding at 90 with a pH of 7.5. I have the pump running all night with a makeshift fountain that I created to aerate, once I hit a pH of 7.8ish, I'll add more pH minus (that's what I've been using, not sure if muric acid would be better) to lower the TA even more, and keep repeating until I hit 70!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.