New pool to be replastered. Questions...

Vinoveritas

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 10, 2011
Austin, Texas
So our pool opened for the first time on Easter Weekend and I spent the first month brushing 2x daily and not running the Legend pressure side cleaner as instructed by the PB and Wet Edge Tech whose subcontractor did the plaster. I noticed a few spots that were too blue-ish-white in the spa and by the main drains and asked my PB what he thought. His take was that it was under-exposed and that he would talk to the plaster guys and see what they thought. Fast forward to today and after inquiring about the issue with our PB, the plaster rep came by and inspected the pool and said the problem he saw was not under-exposure but over-exposure and that the only solution is to re-do the plaster.

Our surface is the the sateen level which is similar to Pebble Sheen. I was told that they chip out the top 6" from the tile line and then around all fixtures and then recoat everything. Is this standard? How thick does the plaster need to be to function properly in the areas that won't be chipped out? Will I be losing an inch or two of depth after this or is it more or less severe?

I had originally thought to have it done in winter but I assume that it will have the same restrictions on use (no spa, no cleaner, brush 2x/day) and I'd hate to go a month without the spa. I am thinking September or even later in August would be the best time to do it since no one is using the spa when it is 100 outside. Who should eat the charge for refilling the pool?

Thanks!

Two layers is fine if the 1st on isn't delaminated extensively.

As for the costs involved, typically its the home owner's.

Too much heat and Sun typically in August. It would dry things out instead of letting them properly hydrate, a chemical process.

You might loose a half inch of depth. I doubt you would even notice.

Scott

Thanks for the reply, Scott. The overexposure caused a large percentage of the aggregate pebbles to come free of the plaster. I thought it was normal to have grit in the pressure side cleaner's lint bag but I guess this is beyond the norm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.