Side mount sand filter

Aug 12, 2008
What is a side mount sand filter? What are the advantages over the traditional top mount?

I am buying a new system and it is almost impossible to get what I want so I am settling on a Hayward powerflo matrix 1 hp w/timer and twist lock cord and I am now trying to get a filter and came across a side mount. Remember when there were like three kinds of filters :hammer:

Side mount or top mount is just where the multiport valve mounts on the filter. A top or side mount sand filter of the same size will perform the same. The advantage to a side mount filter is that if you ever have to fool with the sand you don't have to take valve off to do it.

Bama Rambler said:
Side mount or top mount is just where the multiport valve mounts on the filter. A top or side mount sand filter of the same size will perform the same. The advantage to a side mount filter is that if you ever have to fool with the sand you don't have to take valve off to do it.
Thank you! I just went down to my local pool store and they had a DE filter. I am a little intrigued by it. I now have another filter on top of what motor to get :hammer:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.