Backwash Process???

jobondur

Dec 13, 2009
Virginia Beach, VA
So I thought I knew how to properly backwash my DE filter but then a guy at the pool store told me to do this:
Backwash - Filter - Backwash - Rinse - Filter

What is the proper sequence of operations for backwashing?

He also told me I only add 1/2 the DE stated on the filter after the initial fill (i.e. when you open you put in the full amount, after that only 1/2 after each backwash). Is that true???

Sounds like he's confusing DE with Sand filters.

Rule of thumb is to replace 80% of a clean fill. It never washes out completely, but if you watch the outlet hose, you'll see this dark cloudy mess then it gets clearer and then it just stops changing.

Just for my own peace of mind, I tore my filter all the way down and blasted the grids clean so I'd know what my clean pressure is. The next time I backwashed then opened the filter and hosed the grids off while it was still set to backwash. I looked like maybe 20% was still stuck there.

I do similar but do not have the filter step. Alternating between backwash and rinse a few times helps remove more of the DE.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

I can not think of any logic to that ... For sand I could imagine waiting between backwash and rinse/filter to allow the sand to settle ... but not for DE.

Repeat the Backwash - Rinse cycle as much as you want ... if the water is still dirty in backwash, keep doing it.

Also, some people recommend adding the DE while in the Rinse mode (so that any DE that makes it past the filter does not go in the pool). I have always done it on filter and never seen anything make it to the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.