Circupool multiple cracks in the housing

Zona

Jul 24, 2012
AZ
greetings n first post, cool site glad i found it.
I installed a rj30 3 months ago no problems till i found a leak on the cell a couple of days ago, got the rep. to send me a o-ring kit, when i removed the nut on the cell i found multiple cracks on the housing under the large nut. Has anyone else experienced that problem? Hope when i call them tomorrow they warranty it and ship it out asap since its leaking pretty bad into the electrical cell connections, i have shut the unit off for know...thanks for any replys....zona

yes will do with the FC, just got word from discount pool Tx that he will send a new housing out no charge asap, good customer service so far. they say i might have tighten the large locking nut to tight. might have but don't think so. will not use the 3ft pipe wrench and hand tighten this time haha..thanks great info here.

Latest update 12/2012

Update 12/15/12
Rj 30 here. Replaced my housing for the 3rd. time in July and just noticed I have cracks again. Need to call Monday for the 4th housing in the 1st year of install . Both of the last housings had the nut just finger tight with the new o-rings they sent . Piping is not putting a strain on the housing. Hope they can solve this problem since the unit otherwise seems to be overall good so far. Customer service at discount salt pools has been excellent, hope they keep that up Monday when I call for my 4th housing.

To clarifiy, it's the nut that holds and retains the cell inside the housing so there is no strain on it at all. It's o-ring provides the seal, the housing gets multiply cracks under the nut even with the nut finger tight. All housings have cracked the exact way.

Hi from Don at CircuPool.
I'm sorry that you had problems with the crack in the cell housing. It's certainly covered by warranty and we can rush that right out to you. Here are some tips to prevent that in the future:
Although not a common problem, the cell housing can crack near the threads if the threaded collar is over-tightened a bit. This is particularly true in climates where there is a big differential in the temperatures from night to day and the pump is off overnight; a little tight becomes very tight when the collar shrinks in the cold. Any misalignment or height differential in the cell risers can also lead to problems.
Keep in mind that it's the oring that provides the seal, not the collar and the collar only needs to be seated enough to hold the titanium blade assembly in place. A little silicone grease on the oring is also a good idea to allow a little movement.
Thanks and call us anytime...We're here six days a week to help you.
Don

I've had the same issue, among others with this unit. I've had an RJ30 for 2.5 years. I've replaced the housing 3 times due to cracks across the retaining nut threads. The first time it caused the cup covering the cell connections to fill up with water and short out burning the cell up and damaging the control unit.

So far the customer service has been as advertised. Which in this day and age is better than most. The housing has been replaced under warranty, just cost for shipping. I did have to pay for the portion of the replacement cell not covered by the prorated warranty. And the control unit isn't quite the same after they repaired it. Screen flickers and doesn't display salt ppm, just whether salt is ok or not. But it works.

I noticed that the cell and housing design has been changed on the new units so I assume this has been a common problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.