Just my luck

Jul 17, 2012
Forest, VA
I performed a OCLT last night and what do you know? When I woke up this morning there was a dead bird in the pool. Would this screw up the OCLT test? Here are the numbers from the test.

Before
FC 12
CC 1

After
FC 7
CC 0.5

Also, I am having guests over tonight for a cookout...so I don't want to "shock" the pool and cause everyone's eyes to burn. With a dead bird do I have to shock? or is my FC acceptable to take care of any bacteria?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Tommy

First question is why you were performing an OCLT in the first place. Also, please post a full set of test number: FC, CC, pH, TA, CYA, CH. What is the clarity of the water? What kind of test kit do you have?

Whether due to the dead bird or not, you lost way too much FC for an OCLT. I would add bleach to shock levels asap. It's still safe to swim at shock levels. Test several times throughout the day following the instructions in pool school for shocking here: pool-school/shocking_your_pool.

My cya has been well over 100. I did a 1/2 drain, then 1/3 drain then ran out of cya reagent to test. So while I am waiting for that to come in the mail TFP suggested to do a OCLT test to make sure I don't have an algae problem while trying to figure out the cya. I tested yesterday with these results then added bleach to bring up to 12 to perform the test:

Chlorine 2
pH 7.5
TA hovers around 110
CH 130

I am using the taylor-2005 and I have the FAS/DPD kit.

if we presume you have replaced around 65% of your water (50% then 1/2 of 33%) and your CYA level was above 100 its best guess untill you can re-test CYA. factor that your CC level has came down to 0.5 suggests that you have it under control, so its just the OCL that needs to drop to below 1 now, you can do this with superchlorination as per the instructions on pool school, but you won't know exactly how much chlorine you really need, if 12 worked last night, You should be ok at that untill you know true CYA levels.

Stuart

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.