Pressure gauge

Jul 15, 2012
Toulon, Illinois
My pressure gauge is running around 20 after replacing the standpipe, manifold and laterals. Before the repair, the pressure gauge was between 10 and 15. Two days ago I found that my manifold was in about 3 pieces hence the replacement. My question is, should my pressure gauge be reading that high? After I backwash and rinse it stays at about 12 for a few minutes and then creeps back up to around 20. :hammer:

When it gets to 20 psi which is every 30 minutes or so, the return loses a lot of pressure. Once I backwash and rinse it seems to restore return pressure. Water that is coming out of waste while backwashing doesn't look dirty. There is a little sand in sight glass but water never looks horribly dirty.

Your pressure is fine right after backwashing, so I would guess you have the right amount. Do you suspect (other than from your pressure) that you have too much? How much did you put in?

When your pressure goes up and you backwash, what does the water look like as it is coming out of the backwash port?

Sorry, i missed that you had already stated the backwash water is clear.

Wow, so your pressure goes up from 12 to 20 psi within minutes and your backwash water is clear?

Something does not sound right with the filter or valve.

Where was the sand level (approximately) in the filter once you had put it back in?

Any bag left over that indicates what the previous owner put in there?

No left over bags, over a foot of sand is in the filter. Would a bad O ring or air leakage at the top of the filter cause the pressure to be crazy? I noticed last night that it would get to bout 20 psi and the skimmer would loose suction, if i put my hand over skimmer hose and would "plunge" it with my palm suction would come back. Pressure would drop down to around 15 or 16 psi.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
One other possibility, the previous owner changed the sand with play sand instead of filter sand. Filter sand is much coarser than play sand. Play sand would quickly clog with only small amounts of dirt, causing a quick increase in pressure.

Yes, since you do not know what sand they put in there, it might be the wrong stuff. Only way to fix that is to replace with new pool filter sand. I am not sure showing us a picture of some of the sand would help...maybe...not sure I would be able to tell without seeing the good stuff side by side.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.