How accurate are pool store LaMotte device with UDVs

Jul 20, 2012
Hello folks,

Had two water samples at the local pool store over the weekend. They used something that looks like a LaMotte WaterLink with the little UDVs.

How accurate are these devices?

If your chlorine or pH is out of whack does that affect the results?

I've got a Taylor kit on order - will I get better results with a drop kit?

Thanks to all helpers for your advice!

One of my local stores uses it. They are sweet folks who run a hardware store (not a chain per say but more than one store). They tested my water for free multiple times and didn't get the same results twice. It appears their FC/CC was wildly inaccurate - not giving the same results when testing the same water 10 mins apart, the CYA was close, the CH was close, the pH was close. The real killer however is that the TA reported as ZERO and then later 20 when it was ? (did not have a test kit then) and 170 - 150ppm error!

I have no idea how accurate over time their results would be, but based on the lack of repeatability I'm not convinced it's worth messing with ever. There's another thread about the ColorQ that's a lower end device for home use - it's got a reputation for accuracy issues as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.