Intex Sand Filter Backwash Hose and Connection

frogabog

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 16, 2010
Portland, Oregon
So, Intex gave me a filter with little or no instructions or fittings to attach a backwash hose to. The backwash hose we found was this flat rolled up hose that came with a couple hose clamps. I haven't even opened the package (so expensive too!).

Intex backwash outlet had a rubber compression type sleeve inside, it's threaded on the outside and these threads match the hose coupling nuts that are in use to attach to the equipment. It came with a cap, but not a compression nut.

No fittings are left to use to screw to the backwash outlet. I am a little stumped as to how I'm supposed to attach this backwash hose to the filter. How have others done it?

I'd let it flow out but I have a flower bed directly in the path of the outlet and it's salt water. I already doused the plants with backwash water once now (and myself, I'm still damp). I need to find some way to re-direct this water so they don't die. I stuffed the vacuum hose in and held it while backwashing, most of the water went elsewhere but the pressure was too much and it sprayed all over so that's not much of a solution either.

frogabog said:
Where?? Is something supposed to be inside the outlet other than the rubber compression sleeve? Cuz it goes in... nothing to attach to outside of the threads.

Is this filter able to have a piece of PVC attached there? If so then attach one and the attach the backwash hose to it with the hose clamp. My Hayward S210T is like this - a pipe comes off the multiport and then that's where the backwash hose is attached.

See this video look at about the 7 min, 25 second timestamp they show the backwash using an Intex hose - earlier they do not indicate that this comes with the setup. I think you either buy one or try the PVC idea I mentioned.

[youtube:2b7rx45h]JHsjsmDtli4[/youtube:2b7rx45h]

Ok, I got some images. Sorry for the size, I'll resize them on the server later.

In the video they show what I expected to be able to use for the backwash, but Intex does not provide this hose with the system. They provide only enough hose to hook up the system exactly as they show. We have had to modify the layout of the machinery and thus ended up with a spliced bit of hose for the return. What you see below is the short hose that is meant to connect the SF to the pump IIRC, spliced to a standard replacement hose.

returnModSF.jpg

The entire system:

SF_pump_SWG.jpg

This is the backwash port with the compression washer inside. A cap covers it when not in use.

backwashPort.jpg

backwashCompWasher.jpg

I tried using pvc to connect hoses to this, but the pressure pushed it out eventually. There's no way to tighten anything inside this compression washer. It's made for Intex hoses with compression nuts.

This is what I have to work with, a couple compression adapters for smaller hose sizes, no compression nuts, some rubber coupling sleeves from the extra hose kit, and hose clamps (of course lol). I'd lay out all my Intex parts and stuff for an image but I don't think I could get them all in one frame. Too many Intex pools have come and gone over the years.

fittings.jpg

So, ideally I'd need to either get an Intex hose with compression nuts (I'm sure Intex is sold out, they never stock up enough parts for a swimming season) or find some way to attach this flat HTH backwash hose. As I said, pvc inside the port fits... but the water pressure pushes it out.

Dang if I didn't lose a ton of water doing a quick backwash. That's annoying... Also, the pressure in the gauge did not go down. When I started it initially it was running at about 1psi. It'd risen to where you see now and it's been two weeks since startup. I figured it was time to backwash. I did it till it ran clear in the glass, rinsed for about 10 seconds (still clear), waited 30 seconds and went back to filtering. Thus, the same PSI. Odd?

gaugeSF.jpg

Yes, I'm aware of what kind of hose is supposed to go there. The problem is that Intex doesn't sell a compression hose other than the one with compression nuts on both sides. Not very helpful. Even if I could find one, it'd be a wonky splice job from the short hose, to an adapter, to a standard replacement hose, to the backwash hose. Stupid!

Ideally this would work
http://www.intexcorp.com/index.php/repl ... 10849.html

Out of stock, of course.

But we used them already. The sand filter should come with this so that people can hose clamp something to the backwash port.

I guess I'll have to buy a new hose from Intex and splice it together as noted above. I'll probably replace the current splice and use the long hose there, the short hose will be the backwash hose splice. Ugly.

Sorry it took so long to get back to this thread. I don't have a picture at the moment as I don't have the backwash hose hooked up right now. I bought backwash hose at Canadian Tire (the cheap stuff), and just hose-clamped it right on to the outside (threaded) part of the drain port on the filter. I did have a smaller hose initially, but I could still clamp it on by cutting a little slit in the hose and stretching it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If going to use smaller diameter hose then a very reliable connection is needed, the pressure will rise both because of the smaller diameter and because of the length of such hose, stressing the connection point(s) and possibly the pump itself.

Just my 2c.

I bought a 2" drain hose, the flat rolled up type. I was able to stretch it over the threads but I still wasn't happy... I ended up buying a fitting like this:
[attachment=1:2r5ux4xy]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343180405.524176.jpg[/attachment:2r5ux4xy]

And then just threaded it on until it was tight. I may have to put some thread tape on there since the fitting is pipe thread and the valve threads are straight.
[attachment=0:2r5ux4xy]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343180481.698268.jpg[/attachment:2r5ux4xy]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343180405.524176.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343180405.524176.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 376
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343180481.698268.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343180481.698268.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 333
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.