Bolts 101 - Rusted bolts in concrete

aquaman

May 28, 2008
Pleasanton, CA
Searched for this. No posts on it.

I know the answer is get-er-done.

I am trying to take the two rusted bolts off that hold my main pump to the concrete.

Rusted after 6 years? I'm no chemist but ain't these bolts supposed to be galvanized? Or is galvanized merely "rust resistant" ?

Before I start beating the sh** out of these bolts and hopefully not damaging the flanges that they hold down, what do YOU do to release these bolts?

And then since the shaft will likely still be in the concrete and my pipes will limit the repositioning of the pump for new holes, do you drill out the shafts? With what kind of bit?

It sounds like a job for a die grinder with a cutoff wheel. Slice off the head, lift the pump off, then cut the shaft off flush. A Dremel tool does the same, but it's a lot smaller.

Or, drill the head off, lift the pump off, then cut the shaft off flush. Centerpunch the head, use a smaller bit to go below the head depth, then a larger bit to enlarge things until it's separated.

You could get lucky and have the bolts snap if you use a long enough wrench on them.

The threaded end is probably an expansion plug. It slips in a hole, then and the bolt is tightened, it expands and locks into place.

wedge-anchors-expansion-bolts.jpg

Technique 1: The slicing of the head, with a hand held tool, while up against the flange of the pump that the bolt is holding down, is luck/skill so that the pump flange does not get all torn up?
Technique 2: Centerpunch the head, use a smaller bit to go below the head depth, then a larger bit to enlarge things until it's separated.
Correct?
What about needing to refasten the pump if I can't get new positioning on the concrete for new fasteners?

Do people get by without fastening their pumps?

aquaman said:
Technique 1: The slicing of the head, with a hand held tool, while up against the flange of the pump that the bolt is holding down, is luck/skill so that the pump flange does not get all torn up? Yep. Not as hard as you think, as long as you go slow and deliberate. Pretend you're a dentist.
Technique 2: Centerpunch the head, use a smaller bit to go below the head depth, then a larger bit to enlarge things until it's separated.
Correct? Exactly. And the closer you are to exact center when you start drilling, the better things turn out.
What about needing to refasten the pump if I can't get new positioning on the concrete for new fasteners? You're screwed. You ought to be able to move things an inch forward or backward or to one side to find fresh concrete to drill

Do people get by without fastening their pumps?Dunno

Dave!
Hopefully you are right! I have not got there yet BECAUSE I realized I did have enough room to pull the motor off and check the impeller (the whole reason for this thread) DUH..
So I will move on to my other thread if I need to BUT...no debris in impeller, it spins freely (no noise from pump either).
Do I need to consider that my impeller may still be the problem of not enough water flowing to my spa/waterfall off spa because the impeller is worn/or threads on back of impeller slip (wear with time?) Want to know if I should put everything back together and assume I'm done ruling out an impeller problem..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
[attachment=0:a5v4ew7p]impeller.JPG[/attachment:a5v4ew7p]

This was I was told to do - look for debris around this impeller/diffuser (which goes over it) and inside the port of the impeller.

I found one pebble lodged in one of the side slits of the impeller.

As I watched guys on YouTube they are talking about the threads on the inside of the impeller wear "very commonly" (that screws to shaft). What? Does it slip? Could the revolutions slow giving me less water flow?

[attachment=0:fc42dk72]returns and valve.JPG[/attachment:fc42dk72]

Strictly off the impelkler topic and pursuing the water flow problem that got me involved with all of this:

Could it be that my spa is not flowing well into my pool (not waterfalling into pool like back in the day) because of a problem in my returns?

I have cried here about the natural decomposing slate that my wife selected for the above the water pool walls that have let sheets of paper thin slate and mud and sand accumulating on the pool bottom. Letro cleaner has picked up a lot over the years but I asked if the returns could ever clog and I was told no that this was too much flow to have stuff like that clog pipes.

But as I look at my returns (call me unobservant!) why is this diverter valve pointing OFF to one return?

If I have two return pipes for a spa drain/skimmer/two pool drains = is one pipe for all things pool and the other spa?

I guess I'm trying to trouble shoot = Is it the pump or do I have impedance before or after the pump? Clog? Or a valve stuck/not pointing the right way--something!

The pebble you found will make a little difference in the flow. The valve that's not moving all the way could be part of the problem.

The valve in the picture above looks it's on the suction side not the return side. If it is it could also be part of the problem.

Thanks, sorry - I mispoke meant water returning to pump (hyperfocused on pump and not pool !)

So - I found no significant debris - impeller does not wobble - I'll put it back together. Thanks Jason for speaking to the fastening issue.

I want to thank everyone who took me through this thread. The pump is back together and I will continue to sort out why the spa does not waterfall more return to the pool. I feel more comfortable with pumps/fasteners because of you guys!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.