How to level out pool steps????

Jan 19, 2012
Richland, PA
We had our pool bottom done in concrete/vermiculite base. Installers gave a slight slope a couple feet from the pool sides up to the pool side. Problem now is new steps( link provided ) will not sit level up against side of pool. (( http://www.poolcenter.com/images/confer ... n-pool.jpg ))

Anyone have any cheap way to level the bottom of these steps off? Would have to be in plastic I assume?? Some sort of wedge? We do have a nice heavy pad under these steps, but the steps are probably, best I can measure is 3" out of level. The front of the steps want to lean into the center of the pool.

Any ideas how to solve this???

When we built our sand cove we made it slope far more than we should have. We purchased a new set of steps similar to yours but another brand.

We ended up using an aerobics step on the bottom. Our steps are 38 inches wide and they fit fine on top of the aerobics step. We used stainless screws to attach the aerobics step to the bottom of the pool steps. This gives us an extra step in the pool but works fine for us. The aerobics step I have allows me enough room to vac under it.

I was thinking along the lines of getting some 3" thick plastic and ripping a wedge on a table saw to level out the steps. Counter sink a carriage bolt into it through the step legs. Problem is where to get thick plastic easily???

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They're the same as wood wedge shims. Stack to get your height. Ifdo remember correctly, the pack stacked is about 3 in. Under $2. Would need to fasten the pack together somehow.

Sent from my 4G LTE Droid using Tapatalk 2

Have you considered using winter water weight bags or even buiding a small base using one of the PVC decking products. I am thinking like the Veranda stuff at HD, I think the decking boards are about .94 inches thick so each one is like a 1 inch layer. You could screw to together them with stainless steel screws. You may need to round off the edges where it's cut. I have not used the Veranda stuff but it looks to be almost all plastic/resin/pvc...

Some of the other brands may be more (or all) PVC

Just remembered, called shim-it composite shim.

Like the composite decking idea.

Also could look at pvc trim boards stacked...

Rip a 6" section of pvc pipe?

Sent from my 4G LTE Droid using Tapatalk 2

If you took 3 inch PVC tubing and made a large wide H-shaped structure it might sit underneath ladder, you could make the wall side 2 inch tubing and the other side 3 inch, or whatever it takes to flatten it. Use adapters in the middle.

I did consider the suction cup feet myself, for similar reasons - the Lumi-O steps I have are designed for a level pool bottom and mine (vinyl AGP) has a slope, which resulted in the steps tending to lean forward and rock back and forth when used. I've got some vinyl bath mats under them currently, which seem to help, at least in preventing indentation of the liner, but algae grows easily on the inside of the steps, due to the poor circulation. The suction feet are supposed to help with that also.

I looked at a sample in one of the local pool stores (I live in Quebec). I got the impression that the cup does pretty much flatten out under the weight of the step or with persons on it. Whether it stays like that I guess depends on how well the suction holds to the pool floor. Not sure how much extra height the spacer adds either. From the looks of it, maybe 3-4" Why not contact them? They do speak ze Anglais.

deweypip said:
Techguy,
The suction cup thing looks interesting. I'll have to see how much height it does give. I don't know zFrench, but work with someone who does.

There is an English site, click on the "English" box towards the upper right corner of the web page. Or click the link below

http://innovaplas.com/accessories/9060/?lang=en

Or order the parts here: http://innovaplas.com/services/parts/index.php?lang=en

Isn't that a Confer made ladder, do they have similar items for Confer?

like these? LINK

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.