Dolphin DX-4 Problem

Our pool was only finished at the end of January, so this is the first year for the Dolphin DX-4 robot cleaner our pool builder provided.

It seems like there have always been "glitches" when starting the unit up...sometimes it would start normally after pressing the power button on the controller...sometimes I'd have to start it again to make it work....and sometimes I'd have to unplug it, plug it back in, then hit the power button again to get it to work.

A few days ago, I noticed things are getting worse. I started it up...it would move a few feet...then shut itself off. So, I cleaned out the filter bag, but this didn't seem to change anything. Thinking maybe I didn't have the filter bag in properly, I took it out, cleaned it again, and put it back in. Same thing. So, I left it the unit in the pool and tried it again the next day...this time it started working. But...10 minutes later it shut itself off again. Starting it up again, it ran for another 5-10 minutes, then shut off again. It did this one more time...then the next time I tried it, it ran properly for 2 hours.

The documentation that comes with the cleaner is next to useless, so I'm not sure what I should check. I don't have another cleaner for the pool, and don't want to let it get too dirty...should I have a backup vacuum of some sort?

(Sorry for the questions...brand new pool....brand-new-to-pools-owner).

I'd check to make sure nothing is clogging the fan thingie on the motor at the top of the unit. Maytronics advises that this is supposed to be cleaned occasionally as part of normal maintenance. Also, when cleaning the bag...did you actually put it in the washer? Doing this monthly seems to help quite a bit here.

Matt, I will have to look into cleaning the top fan assembly. I don't see anything it it when viewing the top of the unit, though. As far as cleaning the bag's concerned, it's funny you should mention that. I had simply been cleaning it by hand in the deep sink, but a couple of weeks ago I did put it in the washing machine...and a few days later, that's when the serious problems started. I have noticed its running better now that our temps have dipped below 100° (a temporary reprieve....it's back to 102° today). I'm actually wondering if the water's temperature has something to do with this problem?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.