Well, this is strange!

May 17, 2012
Central Georgia
We have had afternoon showers for the past few days. Amazonian rain forest type showers if they happen to pass overhead. Enough rain to prevent sweeping and vacuuming. I put some pucks in the clorinator just to keep some level of sanitation going until I had an opportuntity to clean the pool. Sunday my pool started to take on a lovely emerald color on the deep end. I ran the tests Sunday night and the FC was at 3, and my CYA was up to 35. I shut off the clorinator and added 270 oz of 6 percent to start the shock on Monday at noon (really need to remember to keep a supply on hand). I tested it late Monday afternoon and the FC was 23 and no CC. CYA was still at 35 range. I swept and then vacuumed the entire pool. Tested again this morning and the FC was still at 25 and the CC was still at 0, but the green is just about gone. The water is a bit cloudy as well.

If I have algae, shouldn't the CC test show it? I did the test twice this morning just to be sure I wasn't doing it wrong, and got the same results.

Also, given that the algae problem clears up, how long approximately should it be before the clorine drops back to an acceptable 3-7 range? And should I wait to add stabilizer to bring the CYA up a bit until I get the FC down?

It is possible to have algae and no CC as long as you have lots of oxidation going on. The sun and the chlorine itself is oxidizing the CCs fast enough that CC doesn't really have a chance to form in noticeable amounts.

I don't know how long it will take for your FC to come back down. It depends on too many factors.

Metals can be suspected when the water is completely clear, but tinted.

Since you state the water is cloudy, algae is more likely.

Have you passed the 3 tests required to stop the shock process? From reading your post it sounds like your FC went up overnight which is not possible unless the chlorinator was still adding FC ... which means you did not do the OCLT correctly. Also, you state your water is cloudy, so that is another of the 3 tests you have not yet passed.

I went home and checked the FC and CC. The FC is 22 and 0 on the CC. The water is a nice shade of blue now, but is still a bit cloudy. I can see the bottom drain, but not clearly.

Should I just keep it vacuumed and wait for the FC to come down, or is there anything I should be doing in the mean time?

Also, should I start adding an algicide, such as a 60% polyquat, just to help prevent a flair up? It's only getting hotter here every day. The water temp was 89 today, and I only get about 2 hours of full sun on the pool each day around 12-2.

Oh, and the pucks I have, leftovers from the previous owners, are standard triclor ones, (Regal brand) and didn't have any metals listed, just 99% triclor, and 1% inert.

Sufficient chlorine will prevent further algae blooms, but only if you can be sure to maintain FC above the minimum for your CYA level. Dropping below minimum is all it takes to begin blooming, but staying always above is as good or better than any algaecide you can add to the pool. Most of us, even though it's considered acceptable at TFP, do not use the algaecide as a preventative measure because FC above minimum works just fine.

Can we assume that the OCLT you did was done with the SWG off? Getting a higher reading in the AM is odd if it was off. Despite this however, due to the fact that the water is not clear (a little cloudy is far from clear), you do need to continue to maintain shock level and filter 24/7. Clear water often takes the longest to achieve, that's what POP is for.

You just started the shock process yesterday? And the pool is still cloudy?

You should maintain shock FC levels until the pool clears up. Vacuum when you can and backwash when the pressure goes up 25% of the clean pressure.

There is no need for algaecide if you keep the proper FC levels.
Wait until the shock process is completed before adding more CYA.

My water is no longer any shade of green, however, it's still cloudy! Maybe cloudy isn't the right word. I can make out the drain but it's not super crystal clear like I think it should be. I kept it at shock level yesterday and last night. I did the OCLT and it dropped from 25 to 24 in 9.5 hours. No CC.

Perhaps I'm being to finicky, or expect results too fast...

https://picasaweb.google.com/117318047836077111252/Pool#

If you look at the second pic, you can just barely make out the drain from the diving board.

Is there anything else I should be doing? Should I keep up the shock another day or wait until the numbers start falling off? My CYA tested around 35 to 40 Monday.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pointyhead said:
My water is no longer any shade of green, however, it's still cloudy! Maybe cloudy isn't the right word. I can make out the drain but it's not super crystal clear like I think it should be. I kept it at shock level yesterday and last night. I did the OCLT and it dropped from 25 to 24 in 9.5 hours. No CC.

Perhaps I'm being to finicky, or expect results too fast...

https://picasaweb.google.com/117318047836077111252/Pool#

If you look at the second pic, you can just barely make out the drain from the diving board.

Is there anything else I should be doing? Should I keep up the shock another day or wait until the numbers start falling off? My CYA tested around 35 to 40 Monday.
Only 2 out of 3 tests passed. Keep it up another day. The good news is, you aren't losing much FC overnight, so it shouldn't use much today. Do you have the drain pulling water? Your troubles all seem to be in the deep end. Maybe you've suffering from poor circulation.

I have the main drain open as well as the skimmer, the vacuum port (I realized a couple of days ago that there should be a cover over the vac port. Need to pick one up shortly) and the skimmer. I vacuumed and swept yesterday as well. It seems like I have full flow, but I haven't opened the pump strainer to check for debris lately. Got kind of skittish about messing with it since I lost my prime once and it took me a long time to figure it out. Is there a way to improve the circulation? I have one return in the deep end. one in the shallow end, and two built into the sides of the steps.

I live in Georgia and had all the rain too...If you have an Ingles nearby, bleach is on sale for .98 a gallon. I went on-line and it is 6 % . It doesn't say on the jug....good luck. My pool is sparkling again and it only took a day of sun and not adding chlorine to drop it back down to 7 on the FC. Hang in there!

Sounds like your sand filter is just going to take some time. You could try adding a little DE to the filter to see if it clears the water a little faster.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

OK, I put in the diverters, and pointed the deep end down and the shallow end to one side. I almost paniced when I walked outside last night and the surface was completely smooth! I checked both returns to make sure they were running! I kept up the shocking last night, didn't drop any on the FC overnight, and no CC. I didn't have to vacuum the pool yesterday either. Only had two very small patches on the floor that I hit with the brush. I did brush everything down, per Pool School directions. This morning the water is clearer than yesterday, but still not where I want it to be. I bought some DE at the pool store. Unfortunately, it seems you can't buy it except in 25 lb bags, so now I've got a huge bag that will most likely go to waste unless I can find a use for it, or give it away. Closest person I know with a DE filter is in Bradenton, FL. I'm going to add a little DE to the sand at lunch today.

I hope by Saturday that it will be all clear!

Yes, unfortunately, you can't buy just a little DE at a time. Hopefully you can find someone close who has a DE filter and can use what you have left.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.