Best solar blanket?

My 4 cents (inflation you know) is that you are best off with a cheap solar cover. They typically only last 2 years unless you really baby them. Further, they don't really heat the pool - it would be better if they were renamed Anti-Evaporative Covers. These covers really prevent heat loss due to evaporation and mostly at night. You may actually gain more heat during the peak part of the day without the cover. That said, you are crazy to try to heat a pool without one, as they eliminate a huge amount of heat loss.

I have one that I bought at the local pool supply store, and cut to fit myself. It really is beneficial for keeping the heat in the pool. Last year, the pool would cool off over night, and on any cool days. It could easily lose 5 degrees in 24 hours. This year, the pool has been holding steady around 80 degrees, even when we had two days in a row where the temps stayed in the low 70s.

I bought a clear diamond 12 miil based on people reporting clear covers allow more heat in than darker colors. Also went with diamond due to having less space between the diamonds so more heat.

Had it for 6 months and don't like it at all. The cover holds more water due to the spacing of the bubbles and my reel sags big time. I also get some algea in the bubbles due to the light penetrating the cover. I would guess I probably get 1 or 2 degrees more heat if I leave the cover on all day compared to a solid color.

Since I have solar heating, my next cover will be just for heat retension not heat production.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.