Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best solar blanket?

1. Back To Top    #1

Best solar blanket?

I've been reading and seems the Magni-Clear is what everyone says is the best. Does anyone have one? If not, what do you use and how much would you say it heats the pool? (in degrees.....5, 10?)

Thanks!
    27' Round AGP, 17200 GAL, 2 HP/2 SPD Pump/Cartridge Filter.......BBB!

2. Back To Top    #2

My 4 cents (inflation you know) is that you are best off with a cheap solar cover. They typically only last 2 years unless you really baby them. Further, they don't really heat the pool - it would be better if they were renamed Anti-Evaporative Covers. These covers really prevent heat loss due to evaporation and mostly at night. You may actually gain more heat during the peak part of the day without the cover. That said, you are crazy to try to heat a pool without one, as they eliminate a huge amount of heat loss.
    20x40 IG vinyl, heatpump and solar and 3 siberian huskies, 10kw PV solar electric system. Nikon Photographer D800e dSLR.

3. Back To Top    #3
    ok thanks!
    27' Round AGP, 17200 GAL, 2 HP/2 SPD Pump/Cartridge Filter.......BBB!

4. Back To Top    #4
    I have one that I bought at the local pool supply store, and cut to fit myself. It really is beneficial for keeping the heat in the pool. Last year, the pool would cool off over night, and on any cool days. It could easily lose 5 degrees in 24 hours. This year, the pool has been holding steady around 80 degrees, even when we had two days in a row where the temps stayed in the low 70s.
    10K White Plaster Pool Built in 2007. Hayward Pump and DE Filter, Hayward Navigator, Liquidator (Removed due to issues), Solar Blanket, BBB user.

5. Back To Top    #5
    I bought a clear diamond 12 miil based on people reporting clear covers allow more heat in than darker colors. Also went with diamond due to having less space between the diamonds so more heat.

Had it for 6 months and don't like it at all. The cover holds more water due to the spacing of the bubbles and my reel sags big time. I also get some algea in the bubbles due to the light penetrating the cover. I would guess I probably get 1 or 2 degrees more heat if I leave the cover on all day compared to a solid color.

Since I have solar heating, my next cover will be just for heat retension not heat production.
    20x40 24,000 gal IG plaster/CircuPool RJ45 SWG/2 skimmer/2sp 2.5hp Jandy Stealth/340sq ft cart filter/600sqftHeliocol Solar Panels/6ft semi circlr tanning ledge/25ft deep end bench/5ft sheer descent/2 lion head water features/1300sqft travertine paver/2 Colorlogic lights/Hayward Navigator/3step 2ft raised bond beam

6. Back To Top    #6
    The best solar blanket is the one you put on the pool consistently and easily. I am getting a reel this year. I'm no longer going to fight putting the beast on/off.
    CaryB
    36 x 18 IG vinyl, 25K, 1 HP pump, sand filter
    1 skimmer, 2 returns, no main drain
    Old school: PoolSolutions test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by ivyleager
    The best solar blanket is the one you put on the pool consistently and easily. I am getting a reel this year. I'm no longer going to fight putting the beast on/off.
    I'm learning this the hard way...
    My Pool - 18x24 fully setup Cabana, 22x48 gunite/quartz plaster (3-5-3 depth) & 8' spa w/ spill and 5' natural rock waterfall; Hayward DE filter/pumps/heater; Hayward Pro Logic controller; Phantom cleaner. Finished 06/01/07.

RedishConstruction.com