My WhisperFlo is not coming down for breakfast...

getbit

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2011
I think my Whisperflow WFE-6 just took a dump.
It is a 1.5hp with a service factor of 1.47.

It is humming, then shutting off when the thermal protector kicks in.
I cleaned the contacts and the impeller turns freely, but it is not cooperating.

So, I am considering a 2-speed or VS as a replacement, but am confused with the different models...such as the Intelliflow VF and VS or WhisperFlow 2spd and WhisperFloXF 2spd.

Looking for the more energy efficient, reliable model to do the job.

Advice?

getbit:

If it turns out not to be the capacitor (which I would also check first) and you decide to get a new pump, multi-speed (a.k.a. variable-speed) pumps are the most energy efficient choice. Have to weigh the cost difference between 2-speed and multi-speed, though. Even with a 2-speed, you will see a significant energy use reduction compared to a single-speed pump. Your power cost would be a factor in this decision.

Many people assume that the relationship between pump speed and energy usage is linear. It is not. If you reduce the pump motor speed by half, energy consumption will drop by significantly more than half. Even accounting for the fact that you have to run the pump for twice as long at half-speed in order to get an equivalent water turnover, the total energy consumption is still greatly reduced when running at half-speed for twice the amount of time vs. full-speed for half the time.

I hesitate to post specific energy reduction numbers since that opens the door to users posting different sets of numbers claiming theirs are right and everyone else’s are wrong. That risks denigrating the thread into a “my numbers vs. your numbers” debate even though all the numbers being batted around essentially tell the same story. However, the numbers debate would risk taking everyone’s eye off the ball of what’s really important to most pool owners in the market for a replacement pump: Energy savings of 2-speed and multi-speed pumps are greater than many people realize. With all that said, I feel I owe you some guidance from a credible source on the magnitude of potential energy savings. So, as specific as I am going to get on this is by posting a reference to a page that succinctly describes the commonly-accepted relationship between pump speed and energy usage: http://www.grundfos.com/service-support/encyclopedia-search/laws-of-affinity.html. The source is a worldwide manufacturer of pumps that makes approximately 16 million units annually. They probably know a thing or two about pumps.

Even if you add a fudge factor by doubling the power consumption numbers in the example quoted by the above source, you will see that there are still significant energy savings by replacing a single-speed pump with a 2-speed pump and even more savings by going with a multi-speed pump which provides even greater control of pump speed. That is what’s really important.

WhisperFlo's are great pumps. If the wet end is in decent shape, you should consider just putting a high efficiency 2-speed motor on what you have. I just did it DIY with my 2004 vintage 1.5 uprated WhisperFlo using a A.O. Smith B2982. I think the A.O. Smith B2983 is the right one for yours. Less money and you don't need to change any plumbing. Just add a Go-kit for seals and gaskets and a $5 switch to control the speed. I am pretty sure this has a way shorter payback than a variable speed.

Capacitor tested dead and a new one should be here soon.
Hopefully, that solves the problem...we will see once I get it turned back on.

Sometimes, I am just looking for a reason to upgrade, but this time, I will be happy if it is cheaply repairable.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.