filter left on after closing

May 5, 2008
new york
3 -4 days after the pool was closed Sept/07 I returned to the weekend house to find the filter still running. I turned it off and called the company that closed the pool. They said not to worry. I also mentioned the water level didn't seem low enough. They said not to worry. On 5/3 the pool was opened. It was completely green, almost black. The motor was frozen and had to be removed for possible repair/replacement. Could the pump motor be broken because the filter was left on running dry after they closed the pool? Does the water level have anything to do with a lot of algae? Could the algae have formed because they did put enough chemicals in before closing? How could the algae have been avoided?

Welcome to TFP!

Leaving a pump running dry will usually cause serious overheating and either melting or deformation of the impeller and pump housing, typically destroying the pump.

Leaving the water level high may or may not risk freeze damage, depending on the climate, but would not have anything to do with algae.

Sometimes, even when you do everything just right you still get algae. So it is difficult to draw any specific conclusion from the presence of algae.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.