phosphates

Jun 14, 2012
I have the taylor 2006 testing kit, and I have been testing here at home instead of the pool store. I have had problems with high CYA, and I have used all of the testing liquids in the kit, so I took my water in to get it checked today. (I'll order replacement bottles today! LOL) It was down to 50 from 135 from a few weeks ago. YAY! He tested it twice to make sure for me. Anyway, what he found was that the phosphates were 1000. Everything else was good...Ph7.8, TA 110, CH 300, copper & iron 0. My FC was .5, but I knew it was time for shock and my automatic feeder hasn't been filled in 1 1/2 weeks. The phosaphate issue was a first, and they told me to use 4qt of PHOSfree with directions to add 1 liter at a time and to check the pressure in between. I bought the PHOSfree, and now I have read that you all suggest shocking and not to worry about the phosphates. Does it affect anything to add the PHOSfree since I already paid for it? A few days ago was the first time I have noticed a hint of green algae on one place on the pool wall. I shocked and brushed it and added polyquat. It was lightly back yesterday. I brushed it off last night and am going to shock today. We have full sun, no shade at all.

Thanks for the info about liquid bleach....I didn't drain the pool totally at one time to solve the CYA, but here in Texas it's been over 100, and I've had lots of splash out and evaporation to the point of adding water 2 times a week to keep the level at mid tile line. The liquid bleach helped keep from adding CYA, and for a few weeks I didn't add 3" tabs bc they are all triclor which has CYA. I just kept adding bleach every day or every other day as needed.

Tanks for phosphate advice!

I am not sure you are using the term "shock" correctly. [shock:1kcxglto][/shock:1kcxglto]

See if you can return the Phosfree (many pool stores will not accept returns on even unopened chemicals ... read into that what you will). It will not hurt anything to use, but I recall one thread where it did not even lower the phosphate level between the pool store tests.

Also, realize that evaporation will not lower the CYA.

I would not advise using the chlorinator again as you are now on the high end of the recommended CYA levels ... stick to the liquid.

The pool store loves to tell people they have high phosphates and love to sell you something to get rid of them even more. In a well balanced pool, they can be ignored.

Can't take it back?

50 CYA is much better, and probably a good thing given the heat we've had! But don't add more!

Were the two CYA test results from the same kit/place? (135 dropped to 50)

Did you remove water by backwashing, draining, or vacuum to waste? Evaporation doesn't help since it just gets the chemicals more concentrated and then when you add water the chemicals are still there and unchanged in concentration from before the evaporation.

CYA from same place about 4 weeks in between. First I drained the water intentionally to the bottom of the skimmer and refilled two days in a row just before the 4th. Lots of splash out and down to the bottom of skimmer after the party on the 4th. At least once a week since then, I've had kids here and splash out has brought the level down each time. I have big boys and their friends(and dads) and my husband, there is a lot of jumping going on in our pool. :)

swimcoach said:
Does it affect anything to add the PHOSfree since I already paid for it?
It affects the level of cash in your wallet if you can return it instead of using it! :wink:

Don't worry about phosphates. Just shock your pool IAW Pool School and strive to keep your FC levels at the target for your CYA. If you're going to be absent-minded about your daily FC levels, add some Polyquat 60 algecide to cope for some lapses.

Good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
bobodaclown said:
yes phosphates feeds algae but if you kill them with chlorine then you don't have to worry about them growing and multiplying. Chlorine kills them. No live algae no worries.

swimcmp said:
How much chlorine does it take to "kill" 5000 ppm phosphates in 28,000 gallons of water.

jblizzle said:
Chlorine prevents (kills) the algae from growing.
I do not think the chlorine "kills" the phosphates.

swimcmp said:
You didn't answer the question though. How much does it take?

I think the confusion may have started with the first quoted reply. Bobodaclown wasn't saying you kill the phosphates - he was saying you kill the algae and it doesn't matter how much food there is in the pool - they don't eat it and they don't grow 'cause the algae is dead. And by maintaining minimum FC at the right level for your CYA - you keep Algae from getting a toe hold in the pool - thus no worries over phosphates.

Jblizzle did answer the question - just not in the way expected. There is no specific amount to kill given the information you provided. What is needed is the CYA level not the volume and phosphate levels.

If you weren't able to return the Phosfree and still haven't used it yet, I would recommend not using it (or only add small amounts at a time).

Before I found this site, I added a whole bottle of phosfree to my pool and it clogged up the filter right away. I had to clean the filter, which basically the same as just throwing the phosfree away, but was more work.

I used the Phosfree as the directions were given....1 liter every hour and check the pressure in between. I also cleaned the filter cartridges and shocked the pool before I started. It became a little hazy, but cleared over night. It's all good now. I hated to return the Phosfree as we live 1 hour from any pool store. It would have cost me more in gas, so I gave it a try. LOL

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.