when pump is turned off, is pressure in filter supposed to?

Re: when pump is turned off, is pressure in filter supposed

It is actually best to turn off the heater a few minutes before you turn off the pump so that the heater cools down some ... although this should not be required.

The heater should have a flow switch which would not allow it to run with the water off ... but if that failed and the heater stayed on with no water flow, you could be in for a real mess :shock:

GuinnessPhish said:
Ok....so turn the heater off every time i turn off the pump.

Do i need to shut the gas valve to off as well?

No, just turn the on/off switch to the off position, if it doesn't turn off, you need service!

I uncharacteristically took the time to read my pool heater's manual.

The manual stated that the pool heater has a safety switch that will turn off the heater if the pump is off. I believe it has a pressure switch for this function. The manual indicated that it would be prudent to test the safety feature by turning off the pump while the heater was running. I performed the test, and as soon as the pump was stopped, the heater shut down.

tedpoppke said:
I uncharacteristically took the time to read my pool heater's manual.

The manual stated that the pool heater has a safety switch that will turn off the heater if the pump is off. I believe it has a pressure switch for this function. The manual indicated that it would be prudent to test the safety feature by turning off the pump while the heater was running. I performed the test, and as soon as the pump was stopped, the heater shut down.

This is all true. The reason we suggest that the heater be turned off before turning off the pump, is to allow the heater to cool off. Not so important on modern heaters, but still a good practice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.