Anyone ever used this stuff?

restoman

Dec 24, 2010
Murrieta, CA
http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Pool-Ch ... 14222.html

I've finally gotten the clorine, ph, salt, etc... taken care of, but I still have a lot of scale in my pool. I was looking at this stuff from Leslie's and it says it gets rid of scale, so my question is has anyone ever used it? It's VERY expensive ($40.00 for a half gallon), but if it will get rid of the white Crud inside my pool, it's worth it.

They also have another product that appears to do the same basic thing, but it's also $40 a half gallon. Do either of these work?

http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Pool-Ch ... 14221.html

Thanks
Ed

I haven't looked at the products but scale is usually formed through incorrect water balance.

If you could post a full set of test results, we may be able to suggest some changes to your water which will get rid of the scale and, importantly, keep it from reoccurring.

restoman said:
http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Pool-Chemicals/Stain-Removers/14222.html

... has anyone ever used it?....
Yep, I have, years ago. My water was all "balanced," but cloudy. I probably needed some POP, maybe more frequent backwashing, or, maybe, a bit of DE added to my sand filter. The guys at Leslie's suggested Stain & Scale. I tried it and probably coincidently, my pool cleared up quickly.

In my experience, giving it a try in a gunite pool with a sand filter at the recommended dose probably wouldn't hurt anything but your wallet. You, however, have a cart filter and I know nothing about them. You might be better off answering Dave's post and see what other options might turn up.

Good luck!

Those are very different products. Stain & Scale 2 is a stain remover. It takes metals and calcium scale on the pool surfaces and puts them back into the water. It is only useful when you already have stains/scaling and will do very little to prevent future stains/scale. Scale Free is a sequestrant optimized for calcium. It will prevent very high CH levels from causing scaling. It works, but gets rather expensive and consumes some chlorine. Better to reduce the CH level and thus avoid problems. Scale Free is mostly only useful in preventing future scaling and will do very little for current scaling.

Thanks for the reviews so far, and here are the numbers:

Free chlorine is 2
Total chlorine is also 2
Salt is 3300
CYA is 50
Alkalinity is 90
pH is 7.4

The issue is that I've had calcium now for a few years and am getting very tired of looking at a spotted white pool, instead of a solid dark gray pool. The blue tiles are light blue, the stairs are spotted white, the floor is spotted white. There has to be something (other than an acid wash) that can remove this Crud.

Ed

I note you didn't list CH anywhere. Given where you live, I'm guessing it's at least 800. Unless you refilled it this year, in which case it will be closer to 500. When you test it, use 10 ml sample, 10 drops of the R-0010, 3-5 drops of R-0011L, and count each drop of R-0012 as 25 ppm. Instructions say 3 drops of the R-0011L, but I find 5 gives a deeper color that's easier to see.

Once you plug those numbers in to Pool Calculator, you'll probably see CSI very high. Which in layman's terms means the water can't hold any more Calcium so it starts sticking to the walls - scale.

My whole pool had a nice coating of scale. Initially I thought the white patches were the scale. Turns out the white patches were the plaster, the grey-blue color was the scale. With water replacement - I use pool water to water the lawns then refill with lower CH tap water - and keeping TA low (50-60) and pH 7.2-7.4 I have been able to slowly lift the scale. It takes a lot of brushing with a wire brush, too.

Nov, 2010
file.php

June, 2012
file.php

I'll tell you what Richard, you get an "A" for being persistent in keeping your water balance where it needs to be to put that calcium back into solution. That looks awesome!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.