POLL - What % Level Do You Currently Have Your SWG Set At???

What % Level Do You Currently Have Your SWG Set At???

• Total voters

jobondur

Dec 13, 2009
Virginia Beach, VA
I'm looking to find out what most users have their SWG set at. Obviously pump run time would affect your setting so if you could normalize it to a 12 hour pump run time that would help. If the math is too complex, just vote for where you currently have it set.

Re: POLL - What % Level Do You Currently Have Your SWG Set A

Im using Pentair IG60, marginally oversized salt water generator for my 13,000 gallon pool. Reasons are pretty clear. 1:) generate chlorine level, depending on number of swimmers in summer season. Summer can reach more than 100F. 2:)I can set IG60 to set at 100% for 24 to 48 hours straight allowing the pool to get 'shocked'

Seems like we have a poll like this pop up every couple of months....problem with these polls, each pool is different, different volumes, different swgs, different cya levels, different sun conditions, differenct swimmer conditions, different temperatures, different organics getting into the water...etc. Bottom line, swg use is going to vary greatly from pool to pool.

In general, pump runtime has nothing to do with swg production, only swg on-time and percent, etc.

Are you having any issues?

linen said:
Seems like we have a poll like this pop up every couple of months....problem with these polls, each pool is different, different volumes, different swgs, different cya levels, different sun conditions, differenct swimmer conditions, different temperatures, different organics getting into the water...etc. Bottom line, swg use is going to vary greatly from pool to pool.

In general, pump runtime has nothing to do with swg production, only swg on-time and percent, etc.

Are you having any issues?

Am I having any issues - that's what I'm trying to determine with this poll. It looks like I might have to up my SWG output to 80% with a 13 hour pump run time and that seems pretty high to me. I was trying to get a feel for what the norm is so I know if it is actually high or not. My CYA level is roughly 85. I'm using an IC40, minor pool usage, pool has a fair amount of shade except during the hottest hours of the day. Seems like I'm always fighting algae but my CC levels are always 0.5 or lower. I'm currently in the middle of a shock but just trying to determine ROUGHLY where I should be when I come out of the shock process. Thanks.

There are several different factors not only run time, but the output rating of the SWCG. Different sized cells will need different run times or if the run times are the same will need different out put settings to create the same amount of chlorine gas. Also sun exposure, bather load, CYA levels, and pool size are all factors that must be considered.

For your rather large 30000 gallon pool, that IC40 is right on the edge of being sized properly. Our recommendation is to size the swg 1.5 to 3 times the pool volume...so for yours that would be a rating of 45000 to 90000 gallons. A setting of 80% for you 30000 gallon pool makes sense if you ran 24 hours, but you are doing half that in 12 hours so that may be the reason you are fighting algae.

What FC level were you maintaining before you started seeing problems with algae?

The lowest it got was 3. I've been at the house for 3 years. The first year the pool stayed beautiful with little effort and my SWG at 40%. The last two years i have had a lot of algae on the walls. Just trying to figure out what the issue is and how to resolve it. Thanks.

If you have algae, the swg is not going to fix it. You will need to first get rid of the algae, then get the swg run time tweaked in.

To get rid of the algae, you need to do the shocking process. We recommend doing this with the swg off using bleach/liquid chlorine for your chlorine source.

Also take a look at: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/defeating_algae

Mine is set to what it needs to be at to keep me at 4ppm. :)

My large pool, full sun, over 100 degree temps, fairly heavy bather load (someone's in it almost every day, lots of people on weekends), etc., means I run 80% on a 10 hour run time. There are times I have to dump some bleach in, for example a really heavy Saturday usage, but day-to-day a 10 hour run at 80% keeps me perfect.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

We've had our SWG for about 3 years now. The first and second years, I ran it around 15% for 12 hours/day. This summer it's been hotter than normal and I'm finding I have to run it at 30% to 45%. I also wonder if the cell getting older has any impact.

jobondur,

I have posted this post with the intent that future readers/poll responders are not misled...and that your high swg usage was likely due to the organics in your pool.

Above you wrote:
jobondur said:
Am I having any issues - that's what I'm trying to determine with this poll.
I just noticed you are dealing with algae on this thread: http://www.troublefreepool.com/need-help-fighting-algae-continuously-t50659.html, so you already knew you had problems when you posted this.

Using forum polls is a poor way to troubleshoot water problems.

jobondur said:
It looks like I might have to up my SWG output to 80% with a 13 hour pump run time and that seems pretty high to me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.