Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Return eyeballs

1. Back To Top    #1

Return eyeballs

What is the proper direction for the eyeballs? Should they point downward, towards the surface, towards the skimmer?
    How do you have yours pointed?
    Thanks
    My pool is a 10,500 gallon (420 Sq Ft ) kidney shape. A hand made sheer decent waterfeature. STA-RITE HRPB30, Sand filter 30" 98 GPM,
    1 HP Maxi-Glas 2 pump, BBB Method, Taylor K-2005 test kit, 50 Watt 12V low-voltage pond light illuminates the pool at night for a nice soft glow.
    250 gallon stand-alone hot tub. Got it FREE!

2. Back To Top    #2
    i have 2 up and 2 down.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Return eyeballs

Quote Originally Posted by meatloaf
    What is the proper direction for the eyeballs? Should they point downward, towards the surface, towards the skimmer?
    Thanks
    I keep my three pointed just downward so that I don't break up the surface water and then pointed towards the nearest skimmer basket. This keeps a nice circular flow around the pool, drives debris to the skimmer baskets.
    24K gal. 22 X 40' Fox Lagoon IG Vinyl, 7' Fox 25 jet raised Spa, Intelliflow VS-3050 pump, Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Pentair Easy Touch Controller, Easy Touch Wireless Remote, Pentair Legend cleaner w/ booster pump, Pentair 250,000 BTU heater, Pentair Tagelus Sand Filter, & Pentair Intellibrite LED lighting.

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Return eyeballs

Quote Originally Posted by hodapmj
    Quote Originally Posted by meatloaf
    Thanks
    I keep my three pointed just downward so that I don't break up the surface water and then pointed towards the nearest skimmer basket. This keeps a nice circular flow around the pool, drives debris to the skimmer baskets.
    This is what we do, too. I have heard that some test the flow w/a ping pong ball.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5
    It depends on what you need. I live in the country, so I have a pretty big bug load. I want maximum flow to my skimmer, so all of my returns are pointed toward the surface.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

I point mine down a little and to the side so that it makes the pool swirl like a toilet bowl. Everything seems to get into the skimmer that way. Then I throw my scum ball at various places in the pool to see if it gets back to the skimmer.
    Wilbar 12 x 17 Buttress Free AG (~4400 Gal?)
    Hayward 225 sq ft cartridge filter
    1/2 HP Pentair Whisperflo
    Liquidator chlorine feeder
    Pool Rover Jr.
    BBB - it's the way to go

7. Back To Top    #7
    OK Thanks, I also have mine pointed just below the surface and angled to create the toilet bowl effect also.
    Just wanted to make sure I was doing it right.
    My pool is a 10,500 gallon (420 Sq Ft ) kidney shape. A hand made sheer decent waterfeature. STA-RITE HRPB30, Sand filter 30" 98 GPM,
    1 HP Maxi-Glas 2 pump, BBB Method, Taylor K-2005 test kit, 50 Watt 12V low-voltage pond light illuminates the pool at night for a nice soft glow.
    250 gallon stand-alone hot tub. Got it FREE!

8. Back To Top    #8
    since i have two skimmers, i find i get better chemical circulation if one shallow end return is up, and one is down, then awsome skimmer action if one deep end return is up and the other is down, but every ones situation is different.

9. Back To Top    #9
    What ever works.

No I'm serious. I fiddled with mine for some time and found the best circulation, skimming and heat distribution. But I bet that every pool is somewhat unique. Trial and error is best method.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner