Adjusting TA, CH and CYA in new pool - how often to test?

AaronGo

LifeTime Supporter
Dec 8, 2011
Houston, Texas
Simple question - I did another full round of tests yday with the TF-100 and my CH, TA and CYA were on the low side (generally higher than 1 week ago when I tested and added some chems to adjust). Should I re-test in another week and then add another round of chems as needed? Or should I re-test sooner?

For yesterday's test results I did not add the full amount of chems to get to the suggested levels since the pool is new and would rather add the chems in phases.

FC - 5.5 (using 6% bleach to chlorinate, working very well thus far)
CC - 0
pH - 7.2 (dropped pH a little before increasing TA, will re-test this afternoon and adjust accordingly)
CH - 150 (this is low, was advised in another thread to get CH to 200 and then test monthly since the pool is new and CH should increase over time)
TA - 40 (this is low, added enough baking soda to get it to 55, will re-test and add more soon)
CYA - ~30 (this is low, but pool is new and got a lot of rain recently which I assume dropped CYA. Added enough to get CYA to 40, will re-test and add another round soon to get to 50)

Thanks!

Re: Adjusting TA, CH and CYA in new pool - how often to test

Keep an eye on your FC and pH. Those are the ones that are most important and can fluctuate in a short period of time. Once you have CYA and CH in range, you can check them just occasionally. TA, once in range, I check once per week.

Sorry, I was talking more about frequency of testing TA, CH and CYA. I am testing FC and pH daily :)

But you answered my question as far as once I get my TA, CH and CYA in range. But until I get them in range, should I test those weekly or more frequently?

UNTIL you get them in range test them every evening after the sun is off the pool!
Once they are in balance check cya, ch once a week and fc, ph daily in the evening about the same time preferrably because you will be manually adding bleach daily and ta about every 3 days

ok, thanks. another question related to this is how often do I want to add chems to adjust TA, CH and CYA? I think I can add daily for TA and CH until I get into range but CYA I would wait a little longer?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.