TEST NUMBERS ON NEW POOL

May 13, 2012
i just done my first test after adding chemicals to my new pool. here are the numbers
cl-5
br-10
ph-7.8
fc-9
cc-.5
tc-9.5
ta-140
cya-50= i tested twice and came up with the same reading. i just added stabilizer last night and it may take up to a week to start reading correctly but i wanted to see how much the stabilizer boosted it

my pool sees about 12 hoours of direct sunlight in a day.
if anymore info is needed let me know.
i use bleach for chlorine and intend on using the bbb method but could not find borax yesterday when i went to do my chemicals.

these are the readings before i added anything
cl-.5
br-1
ph-7.2
fc-.5
cc-0
tc-.5
ta-140
cya-0
ch-160

Good job. FC 5 is just right.

pH is rising so you will want to push that down to 7.4 when it hits 7.8. I suggest that you do that many times, testing afterwards to be sure you hit your mark. Test TA frequently at first, taking notes. The pH adjustments will eventually lower TA (by 10 or 20 per week maybe) and when that TA is less the acid you add is more potent in adjusting the pH.

I do wonder what CYA you tried to reach, to see that much on test the next day suggests that you either used liquid stabilizer (tests right away I hear) or may have added more than enough CYA. Goal is 30 - 50 ppm CYA for regular pools and 75 - 85 for SWG pools. To conserve CYA reagent, just pour the test mix back into the vial and repeat as needed until you are satisfied with the reading. Know that you should do this in sunlight and without sunglasses on. (Sunlight makes dot disappear faster so CYA reads too low in house lighting, sunglasses can affect how you see it also)

Keep an eye on CC, at 0.5 you are fine, any more might reflect something going on.

Don't mess with borax for awhile. Be certain that all the other things are well under control. pH adjustments are trickier if things are not right.

FWIW, after a sock squishing I've been able to measure CYA accurately as little as 24 hours after addition. It can take up to a week to show a result in a test, but it can also register right away. The squishing method seems to make it available right away in my experience. I think it has a lot to do with the powder turning pasty and billowing out into the water vs sitting on/in the filter waiting for the water friction to dissolve it or hanging in a sock undisturbed so it dissolves slowly.

I actually put the stabilizer in the skimmer last night and it had all dissolved this morning when I checked and done my water test. So I guess that is why it showed so quick there is no chlorine smell and water is beatiful

third test on the new pool water and remember i get about 12 to 14 hours of direct sunlight a day.
cl-2
br-4
ph-7.8
fc-2
cc-.5
tc-2.5
ta-150 (not sure why this is rising)
cya-30(still feeling out how to do this test properly)

am i going in the rite direction or am i way off base

If your CYA is 30ppm, you're below minimum at 2ppm FC already. Add bleach to raise FC to 7ppm right away. Today, after everyone is done swimming and the sun is off the pool, check again. Then add bleach to raise back to 7ppm, test an hour later to be sure it stuck. You could do an OCLT at this point, tomorrow morning before the sun hits the pool and see if it's still 7ppm. If so, you're likely good to go chlorine wise and you can rinse and repeat tomorrow night. By raising it to the high target every day (either in AM or PM -you chose) you should be able to lose ~50% of the chlorine daily and still always remain above minimum. If you have a planned high bather load, or something happens (pee or poo, dead animal, etc.) you can give the pool a tip (ppm or few extra chlorine) and continue enjoying the pool.

Your pH is at the high end of normal, so you may need to lower that soon. Keep an eye on it.

TA will come down slowly when you lower pH, so right now I wouldn't worry about it. When you've got the rest of the pool dialed, you can try the acid/aeration method of lowering TA (see pool school).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
my numbers have been consistent for three weeks now. my water has been crystal clear since day one and my fc has stayed between 3 and 7 for three weeks now. i chlorinate in the am cause i work third so there is no direct sunlight in the am but that is the only time, from 9 till 7 it gets direct sunlight. i have been lowering my ta to the 90 range, it started at 150 and i have got it to 110 by using muratic acid and areating ph back up. the only question i have is about the cya cause i am not consistent on my test numbers, my best guess is thirty or fourty i use thirty on the pool calculator. with the amount of sunlight i get should my cya be 50 or higher or is the 30 to 40 range ok. i was doing the overnight test and loosing only 1ppm and fc stayed consistent. i live in southeast georgia and have humidity and sun like florida

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.