Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Turning on spa....?

1. Back To Top    #1

Turning on spa....?

Hey guys,

My pool and stuff has been up for almost a year now, but believe it or not, I've never used the spa; mainly due to the fact that my pool builder put in NG heater when it was supposed to be a LP heater. At the time of install, it was summer and no real need, then it got sort of forgotten about. Then a couple months ago, I wanted it going and had to order the conversion kit to find out it was a special order that took over a month to get. I anticipate having the gas on and heater going by this weekend.

Now to the question... what valves and stuff do I move to get it into 'spa' mode...? I have 1 heater, 1 single speed pump, a main drain in the spa, 2 skimmers and the pool drain.

For normal pool operation, the spa is spilling, spa drain is closed, the main pool drain is closed and it's simply cycling through the spa and pool returns back into the skimmers.

Keep in mind, I'm going to be hooking up the AquaLogic this week so I'm going to have to get the sequence automated. Now, my guess to get the spa going I'm assuming you would crank the heater, close off the pool returns by 90*ing over to spa return only (since they're normally both open, then open the main spa drain..... is this right?

Here's my plumbing layout.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My Pool - 18x24 fully setup Cabana, 22x48 gunite/quartz plaster (3-5-3 depth) & 8' spa w/ spill and 5' natural rock waterfall; Hayward DE filter/pumps/heater; Hayward Pro Logic controller; Phantom cleaner. Finished 06/01/07.

RedishConstruction.com

2. Back To Top    #2
    To switch to spa mode, turn the main return valve, on top left, from 50/50 to 100% spa. Then, turn the main drain valve, on bottom left, from 100% pool to 100% spa.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I like the labeled picture!

4. Back To Top    #4

ok, that's exactly what I figured....

thanks. so thats 2 automatic valves, I have 2 left. One would probably go on the waterfall and I don't really think I need a 4th, unless I want to put one on the one skimmer to automate for vacuuming.
    My Pool - 18x24 fully setup Cabana, 22x48 gunite/quartz plaster (3-5-3 depth) & 8' spa w/ spill and 5' natural rock waterfall; Hayward DE filter/pumps/heater; Hayward Pro Logic controller; Phantom cleaner. Finished 06/01/07.

RedishConstruction.com

5. Back To Top    #5

Only other advice is to lower your aquarite output down so you don't over chlorinate your spa, bathing suits, etc...
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

6. Back To Top    #6

and I can probably tell the aqualogic to do that when the spa is 'activated'.... right? Good tip, probably wouldn't have thought of that.

RedishConstruction.com