Power surge took out my pump?

GregH

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 5, 2009
Dripping Springs, TX
After a series of lightning storms my Hayward TriStar pump no longer runs. It hums for awhile, and shuts off -- I was told it's a classic starter capacitor problem. Tried replacing the cap with a new one that had the exact same specs -- didn't fix it. Called a service company that did the same thing -- didn't fix the problem and they are telling me that I need to replace the whole pump motor. Seems like and expensive oversimplified fix. Any suggestions on my next step -- the pool is getting very green.

Can't help on the pump, but I suggest taking FC up to shock level and using a Wall Whale brush to mix bleach into the pool. A good brushing with that Wall Whale a few times a day is called for.

I tried to figure out where the switch was located, but I was told that my 2hp 2-speed original pump was significantly oversized for my pool and filter size so I stopped working on that. I have a 1HP 2-speed replacement motor on order. Thinking a about replacing the circuit breaker with one that includes surge protection since lightning is so common here in Texas.

Since you are lowering the motor HP, you also will need to reduce the impeller size to match the motor ... this may also require additional parts (like the diffuser), but I am not sure on your pump setup.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.