SWG % Setting

JohnT said:
You adjust percentage and pump run time to maintain sufficient chlorine for your pool.

For example, your chlorine appears to be in the target range. If you reduce the percentage, your chlorine will drop unless you increase run time on your pump. Conversely, if you increase percentage, you would typically reduce the runtime on the pump.

The percentage is actually the duty cycle of the SWCG. 50% means it is generating chlorine 50% of the time the pump is running.

jblizzle said:
Well, 4ppm is the MINIMUM FC for a CYA of 80ppm in a SWG ... safer to run it up around 6ppm in case there is a sudden load increase.

While I completely agree, he is totally in range with his FC, but on the low end of it. I think it is more important to understand how to make that number move, versus where you might choose to move it to. The OP did not share a lot of other details regarding his setting, sensitivity to chlorine levels etc.

The general consensus here is usually to give yourself a buffer. Overnight rain and storms can really take a toll, and having a little extra keeps the green monster at bay.

@elwood58, totally agree.

I was more trying to clarify the 2 posts before mine, so that tcmdo might have a better idea of what FC to be targeting when starting to adjust the SWG as you described.

You determine you're chlorine setting by testing your chlorine level over a period of days. If the chlorine level decreases you need to increase either the output setting or increasing the run time. If your chlorine level is increasing then you need to decrease the output setting or decrease the pump run time. Make small adjustments and test regularly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.