Understanding the valve that switches from pool to spa

aquaman

May 28, 2008
Pleasanton, CA
Hi,

I am looking at my main diverter valve (another name?) to see if it is not turning fully to allow water to get where it needs to go.

This question is being generated because, when in pool mode, the water flow is supposed to be going to the spa and cascading into the pool, but in the last 6 months very little flow out of the spa is noted (sheets down wall instead of previous waterfall)

My main Hayward Pool pump operates with no abnormal noise and I appear to have good water flow into the skimmer and out of the wall jets

I do not know if my solar heating (separate pump) and booster pump for cleaner influences water flow/direction/pressure.

Could something have changed in the swivel of this valve?

Here is the position it is in when operating spa - the side of the valve facing us says OFF (right over the pipe coming toward us).

Realize that with a busy life I have forgot the water flow of my pipes 100 times despite knowing it the month before!

Here is the valve facing the other direction where it is not parallel to any pipe the way the spa mode was.

Am I perhaps not delivering as much water flow to the pool as I should?

I never understood why there is always water flowing to my pressure sided cleaner even when the booster pump is off. Is this necessary and is that why this valve exists at an angle in pool mode?

Am I making sense?

A bigger picture would help.

And when you do figure things out, label the pipe! Liquid paper, bright nail polish, or something you find when you raid your wife's scrapbooking stuff will work. Or spray paint some white or yellow and then use a magic marker on the bright spot. It saves a lot of grief.

Without knowing if the physical position of the valve has changed, it's hard for us to say if that's the problem or if there's another issue. Certainly moving the stops on the valve to allow it to send more water to the spa will most likely help the situation but we don't know how much.

Have you inspected the impeller to see if there is some blockage in it?

Thanks Gentleman,

I guess the more direct question is - if the valve OFF appears to be directly positioned over a pipe when in the spa mode, should it be directly positioned over the opposite pipe if you wanted just circulation to the pool wall jets and no spa action?
And if so, it is at a diagonal in my pic in pool mode because = this is how water goes to the wall jets of pool AND to spa overflow? Am I thinking this right?

Dave,

I was hopng that I would not have to open the pump :)
But this is possible eh? No noise changes to pump with impeller problem? No tell tale pressure change on the filter? Some other sign that I GOTTA look in the pump?

if the valve OFF appears to be directly positioned over a pipe when in the spa mode, should it be directly positioned over the opposite pipe if you wanted just circulation to the pool wall jets and no spa action?
Maybe, maybe not. Most times when in pool mode you still want some flow to the spa. That's why the valves don't close off the spa completely when in pool mode.

If there's a little blockage in the impeller you might not notice it unless you're running something that requires a lot of flow (i.e. the spa overflow) It may not even change the filter pressure enough in filter mode to notice.

The booster pump is on the discharge of the main pump so unless there's a shutoff (i.e. valve, spring plate, etc.) there will always be water flowing from the cleaner/port whenever the main pump is running.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.