Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: The "whisper" is gone from my whisperflo.....

1. Back To Top    #1

The "whisper" is gone from my whisperflo.....

Hi,
    Started my pool the other day and my pump now makes this weird noise. It sounds like it's coming from the back of my pump motor. Any ideas what it is? Here is a video of it but the distinct sound is hard to pick up but you can definitely tell it's louder than normal. It has a high pitch to it. JUst curious if this is something I can fix or if it needs serviceing. It's only 10 months old

I was thinking about separating the motor from the pump body and turning it on to see if it makes the same noise. If it doesn't then I know it's the pump portion. I have a rebuild kit but don't want to try it out if it's something else.

Thanks,
    Joe

video
    if the video doesn't open in your browser, right click and save as.
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Try checking for debris in the impeller. Are you getting proper water flow? I'd say it could be the bearings but that is more of a screaching sound.

3. Back To Top    #3
    The flow is fine, no troubles there. It does sound like a screaching sound you just can't hear it on the audio......
    Attached Images Attached Images
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

4. Back To Top    #4

We just dealt with that.
    We're just starting the 4th season with our pool and we've been through two Hayward 1hp pumps already. We had the newer model, we called it the knuckle buster cause we always scraped our knuckles trying to get the lid off. The pool guy said the bearings in this particular model tend to corrode. It would have cost as much to fix ours as to buy a new one so we opted for the older model, the Hayward Power-flo LX I think it's called. So far it's been running 24/7 for 5 days for our conversion and it's going like a champ. He said this one is configured a little different so water can't get inside.

The best part is the lid has a handle on it so no more busted knuckles
    12' x 28' Doughboy, partially underground, 9100 gal. Hayward pump and sand filter, Barracuda Zippy pressure side cleaner.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Took it all apart and I think it's the rear bearing. Is this a DIY project or should I send it in?

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Bearings are very difficult to deal with. Is it still covered under warranty?

7. Back To Top    #7
    The rear bearing was toast. I had a freind replace it since it was out of my league. All is good now.