another hard plumbed intex

Apr 15, 2012
SW Ohio
i would like to start off by saying that this was my first pool ever and definatly the first time leveling the ground for a pool....whew!!!!!
i started off by doing all the normal installation routine ie removing the sod and cutting down the high side to meet the low side, brung in 3 tons of masons sand leveled the whole area with a rotating laser level. set up the pool on concrete pavers got it all up and then i got the water balanced using the BBB method, all was going well for about 3 weeks and then my intex 1600 pump went out and had to argue with intex about a replacement pump under warranty. Well the day the pump went out we had a real bad storm go through the area and my pool looked like someone had literally took 5 gallon buckets of leaves and dirt and threw it in my pool, and i have no pump to vacuum my pool. i thought well there goes my water balance but i continued on with my normal routine and cleaning the leaves and dirt out of my pool manually until i got another pump.Luckily i kept my pool balanced with no ill effect from not having a pump for a day. so i went out and bought a hayward 1/2 hp 40 gpm pump and then started the mods which include a thru wall skimmer,2 returns a water fountain all with shut off valves and hard plumbed with 1 1/2 and 1 inch pvc. below are a few pics of my setup......Mike

pool7.jpg

pool4.jpg

pool3.jpg

You say you used 1 1/2" and 1" PVC. Do you have a tutorial???? I would like to hard plumb my intex and I am trying to figure out how you
actually connected the PVC to the pool outlet and return. It looks like you have the grey intex hose nuts connecting the PVC to the outlet and return. I can't imagine how you did this. Will you please share?? Pretty please?? What size ball valves did you use?

Am I correct in seeing that you use the skimmer for the outlet and you converted the original outlet into an extra return?? If I am correct, hows that working out? Do you run both returns AND the fountain at the same time? I had figured to keep the original outlet in addition to the thru the wall skimmer in order to clear some of the debris from both the surface and from below.

You did an awesome job on this. (I love the towel rack too!) I hope you don't mind me picking your brain a bit. I can do all kinds of things, cook, quilt, paint etc. I'm in the process of building a gate (my husband is working on it too) for my wooden pool stairs but plumbing, that confuses me. I think the problem is that not all my equipment is intex. The pool is, the SWG is too, but the pump / filter is a Sandpro 75 so I have to use adapters for everything that connects to the pump/filter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks. I am pretty much mechanically inclined. Have worked with PVC with my Dad years ago. Have done minor stuff on my cars (oil change, lube, tires, even changed the inner tube on my motorcycle tire among other things). Did most all the cuts and planning for our wooden gate. I can follow instructions.

I spent yesterday evening perusing the PVC isle at Lowes and came up with only a couple of pieces that I thought would work. Mostly, I am having trouble with the concept of the connection at the pool I think because of the difference between intex and standard fittings.

I'm pretty sure I can handle it.

All this to say, Thanks. I appreciate you taking the time to put together the info for me.

Taterfink said:
Thanks. I am pretty much mechanically inclined. Have worked with PVC with my Dad years ago. Have done minor stuff on my cars (oil change, lube, tires, even changed the inner tube on my motorcycle tire among other things). Did most all the cuts and planning for our wooden gate. I can follow instructions.

I spent yesterday evening perusing the PVC isle at Lowes and came up with only a couple of pieces that I thought would work. Mostly, I am having trouble with the concept of the connection at the pool I think because of the difference between intex and standard fittings.

I'm pretty sure I can handle it.

All this to say, Thanks. I appreciate you taking the time to put together the info for me.

Here is a thread that tells how to make the custom PVC adapters for Intex pools. I followed these instructions and used the Cantex box adapters from Lowe's and it was very easy.

custom-pvc-pipe-adapter-for-intex-pools-t28971.html

And here's a link to my thread of my finished product:

my-intex-ultra-frame-16x48-build-t50136.html

I have changed my 20' above ground pool over to sand filter but now I have a little problem. What I need to complete my project is a replacement skimmer. And you seem to have not only found one but you have got it work with no leaks.
you can see what I have done with my pool just need to know what type of skimmer you used and how you cut your pool with no leaks? Thanks http://youtu.be/fAQ3DoRKDGI

Cowboylonny, excellent job plumbing everything up. I really liked your fountain....that sure gives me some ideas for my fountain that I will start on here in a couple of weeks.

The skimmer is a Hayward SP1091LX, they are inexpensive and what most people are using to add to their Intex pools. I believe it is similar to what most of the "real" AGP manufacturers include with those expensive AGPs.

As for cutting, I started a hole by using the old utility knife then used a pair of scissors to do the actual cut so I could get a round corner and not sharply cut on just to keep strength there so it wouldn't rip. Probably doesn't matter, but never have had any problems.

Bob E.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.