Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water not circulating?

1. Back To Top    #1

Water not circulating?

PB just opened our new construction pool last week (finished last winter; hasn't been used yet), and is coming tomorrow for our pool school...we're really pretty clueless until then.

Since opening our pool, though, the water doesn't seem to be circulating, either coming out of the inlets or being swept through the skimmers. There is water in the pump -- I can see it bubbling about in the glass window -- and the filter (sand) seems to be filtering something. But when I put my hand by the inlets I don't feel any stream of water, and the skimmers aren't "slurping" -- the same couple of leaves are at the top of the skimmer water level that were there last week. The pool has definitely cleared up, color and clarity wise, from the murky opening, but it still has the layer of scum/pollen on top that hasn't changed.

I should add that the line that feeds the Polaris cleaner is working. Also water level is holding steady; no signs of any leakage.

Does any of this make sense? Am I just expecting more "action" in the skimmers/inlets than is normal, or did the PB forget to open something up (or may he have intentionally not opened something up until we were "educated")? I guess I'll find out the answer tomorrow, but would just like input in the meantime...

TIA
    inground gunite, 18x38 freeform, 3'-9' w/ diving; 3M caymen green/blue blend; Pentair 2HP whisperflo; + aux pump for water feature; SWG; Rheem heat pump; Polaris 380; Pentair TR 100 sand filter; silverlake flagstone coping/broom finish concrete deck; NPTG Aztec cobalt tile; 18" bond beam wall with water feature

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Well, it certainly sounds like he has forgotten to open a valve. Pressure from the returns is unmistakeable. Suction into the skimmers is normally VERY obvious unless the water level is too high.

What does the pressure guage on the filter say?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    What does the pressure guage on the filter say?
    I'd have to go outside to double-check, but I think it was 60ish PSI...
    inground gunite, 18x38 freeform, 3'-9' w/ diving; 3M caymen green/blue blend; Pentair 2HP whisperflo; + aux pump for water feature; SWG; Rheem heat pump; Polaris 380; Pentair TR 100 sand filter; silverlake flagstone coping/broom finish concrete deck; NPTG Aztec cobalt tile; 18" bond beam wall with water feature

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    If it's more than about 35 or so, the guage is broken. Constant speed pool pumps can't produce more than that.

Now, that's not the problem with circulation...I still think a valve is closed. Presure around 35psi would've confirmed that.
    Dave S. - Forum owner

5. Back To Top    #5
    It might be in a mode where water is drawn from the main drain and is mostly going to a pressure side cleaner. That would not be a great way to have things setup as the pump would be over pressurizing the filter, but one day of that probably won't damage anything. If you can figure out which valves to open to turn on the returns that would be great, but at this point you could also just wait for tomorrow.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

If it was 60 lbs, wouldn't it be better to shut off the pump until the PB returns Monday?
    Hotrod30

20 X 40 foot vinyl Borates and Salt Pool
    Rolachem Chlorine Feeder
    Hayward 27 inch sand filter with 80 lbs of pea gravel
    Jacuzzi Splash Pak SP55 DE filter in parallel
    Pentair VF3050 pump

7. Back To Top    #7
    Yes, if it was really 60 psi then it would be best to turn off the pump. But the 2 HP WhisperFlo can't produce 60 psi. The highest it might get would be 37 or 38 psi. So I am just assuming that the gauge is broken, which is common enough. Cavitation could also be an issue but that would result in a loud noise that would surely have been mentioned.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry
    Hotrod,

If it's more than about 35 or so, the guage is broken.
    Dave S. - Forum owner

9. Back To Top    #9
    Ok, I rechecked the gauge and yes, it is flickering at around 35 (not 60!). All the valves seem to be open, however, except for the one leading to the water feature.

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Take your skimmer baskets out and feel the suction hole at the bottom. If there is suction your skimmers are on. Do you have weirs in your skimmers? The weir is the flap in the mouth of the skimmer. Could've been forgotten about during the construction but shouldnt have. This would give the skimmer the appearance that it is not sucking. What water features do you have? Try turning them on and see if you have any flow from your returns. Plumbing could've been screwed up.

11. Back To Top    #11
    Ok...turns out filter just needed a good backwashing (told you I'm a complete newbie!). Oh, and one of the skimmer's weirs was missing. Seems to be working fine now. Thanks for your help!