Menard's Liquid Chlorine

sbn56

Jun 13, 2011
So Menard's in the Midwest had liquid chlorine for $2.50 a gallon, that fact has been well-broadcast hereabouts -

On the bottle, it states 12.5% sodium hypo, but 15% available chlorine.

I've been dosing with this product assuming it's 12.5%, just to be on the safe side.

Can anyone speak to the difference in numbers, or is that to be expected? Having just jumped to the BBB method, I have never read the label on any other liquid chlorine.

Great forum! It will be even better when someone comes up with a better method to deal with liner wrinkles! Never again. Never will I EVER try to do my own liner, especially when a cold front comes in 12 hours early and we're trying to finish in rain and 55 degrees. And the resulting bottom shows it..........

thanks!

sbn56 said:
So I had another few free minutes and went over to read that this has already been posted and answered!

Another waste of precious electrons........... :hammer:

thanks!
That's ok. Yes, the "available chlorine" is not really useful information. 12.5% sodium hypochlorite is simply 12.5%. May be less though depending on how long it has been sitting on the shelf.

Their bottle (referring to the numbers sbn56 posted) is labeled incorrectly. % Available Chlorine (weight % of chlorine) < weight % of sodium hypochlorite < Trade % (volume % of chlorine)
Chlorinating liquid is usually quoted by Trade % which is the volume % of chlorine so is what you could use to readily calculate its effect -- 1 gallon in 10,000 gallons will raise the FC by the Trade %. It's possible that they meant 12.5% Available Chlorine and 15% Trade % or the 15% number may just be bogus.

Had to revisit this thread to check on 15% being 12.5%. As I thought the consensus is that it's 12.5% as listed as the ingredient, not the 15% listed as "Available Chlorine."

Farm and home has this same "shock," on sale for $2.99/gal.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.