Unsafe to swim in a new pool before treating it?

Jul 21, 2012
I started filling my brand new pool, yesterday, and it looks like it's going to be finished at some point, today. My kids have been chomping at the bit ever since we told them we were getting a pool, and now that's it's practically here, they can think of nothing else. Hard to blame them, since it's over 100F and humid as heck right now...

Anyway, my new-pool orientation isn't until tomorrow when the pool-guy comes out, turns everything on, shows me how to work it, and treats it for the first time. I'm wondering if it would be safe to let the family enjoy a dip in the pool before then.

Fill in the Blank said:
I tested the water with a litmus strip, and it measures about 8 on the Ph level. Is that too high to be safe, even with the bleach?
Well those are pretty inaccurate, but 8 PH isn't unsafe. PH doesn't really make a pool safe or unsafe, it has more to do with keeping your pump system from corroding. Although if your PH is really bad, it can cause irritation. But 8 isn't really bad.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.