Testing kit I have Does not test for cya

What else is needed before I swim

This morning I tested my water that I just filled last night and added chemicals...
8pm last night readings were :
Fc 5
Tc 5
Ph8.2
Ta 110
Cya I just added

This morning I'm reading
Fc 2
Tc 2
Ph 8.2
Ta 80

The water looks no nice the kids have no idea why I haven't let them in yet they don't understand me when I say I'm trying to get balanced. My 12 yr old told me "this ain't yoga ma" ........
Kids!!!!!
Anyway from pool school I see I need to use dry acid or muratic to lower my ph... Add a lil bleach to to raise FC or should I just add the dry acid and see where I'm at with ph..
What else should I do?

Re: What else is needed before I swim

Add some Acid to bring your PH down. Wait for an hour, retest and if good then go ahead and swim. Add the chlorine after you are done swimming is all. No reason not to jump in. I usually swim after 20 minnutes because the size of my pool is 22000 gallons. FC at 4-5 is not an issue at all.

Have fun

Thank you I was wondering if I should keep it in the same topic...
So on my way to purchase the acid and get another testing kit... Unless there is a way to test cya with the leslie kit I have now....

I also had another topic about switching to wsg when I have my water balanced should I start another post when that time comes

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Help!! After 2 hours of putting my nutation acid to lower my ph its still at 8.2
I put the reccommended 5.6oz as the calculator told me
I also tested my FC and it's .5 or 0
I just added 37oz of bleach as per the calculator should I add nore muratic acid right now

I suspect the kit is this one:

pH, FC, and TA. Plus they make it sound better than it is by adding BR and acid demand.
Add the CYA test and the FAS-DPD test and it's a K-2006. But it won't all fit in the box.

kittkatt808 said:
Help!! After 2 hours of putting my nutation acid to lower my ph its still at 8.2
I put the reccommended 5.6oz as the calculator told me
I also tested my FC and it's .5 or 0
I just added 37oz of bleach as per the calculator should I add nore muratic acid right now
Your pH may have been much higher than 8.2. Anything above that reads the same. Give that bleach half an hour to mix, then repeat your acid addition. Recheck pH an hour after that (pump running the whole time) and see where pH is. I recall when I took over my pool, I used a 10 lb bucket of dry acid AND a gallon of Muriatic Acid to get the pH color to change!

Sounds like the pH was higher than 8.2. Just because the kit only shows the high 8.2, doesn't always mean it's only 8.2.

Do another dose of acid, it should show some change this time.

Use the known amount of CYA that you added as your CYA level for now. We assume it's in there, if you put it in. Do you know how much you added? If so, pool calculator should estimate the level for you to use for chlorinating.

I added 28 oz of cya to get my cya to 50...
Is that the# I'm reaching for?
I added more acid....
Also, that's it that's the kit I have ... DO I just add the additional

OK, we'll call it 50ppm and you should enter that into the NOW column in the calculator. Chlorinate/shock for that number. I believe shock level is 16ppm. Normal high and low FC is 4-8ppm. At night, you'll dose to 8ppm in preparation for the next day. Prepare to lose half by the end of the day, but never fall below 4ppm. Daily/nightly dosings will prevent this. Normal loss per day is 2-4ppm depending on weather and bathers. If you routinely lose more than 4ppm but less than 5ppm, change the nightly dose to 9ppm and that should settle it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.