About to Hard Pipe My Pool and Im Stuck. I need Help!

D0Z3R

May 30, 2012
Currently my Hayward 1.5hp pump is connected to the return and skimmer by flex pipes. I didnt install this pool but whoever did cut corners on it. Over the last month my flex pipes have been cracking and leaking I assume from age and the stress thats put on them.

The other day I got everything I needed to hard pipe everything with 1 1/2 PVC. Well at least I thought I did.

I was going to start on the return first. I have a salt water system with the Turbocell T-5 which is pictured below. I noticed that it only has a connector where you can attach flex tube. I dont have anything that I can use that will allow me to use PVC. The issue is I have no idea what I need to buy so I can allow a connection to 1 1/2 PVC.

Can you guys help me out? Would one of you know what I need to get? Is this a custom piece that I need to get at a pool store? I would love if this is something I could by at lowes. I would love to get this done today. My flex pipes are a ticking time bomb right now.

M5980.jpg

The screw on connectors on either end of the T-5 come in two versions, barbed connections for flex pipe, and slip/glued connections for rigid pipe. The one in the picture above has the slip/glued connections. The connectors used to connect to the T-5 are unique to the Hayward SWGs, but are fairly common. I would expect a fair percentage of pool stores to carry them, but you are unlikely to find them at a place like Lowes.

I don't have one of those cells but it is a stretch to think they only make them for flex. Go to Lowe's and take your cell with you......they'll help you fit it right up.

(from the pic, it looks like half-unions with a 1.5" slip fitting but that probably isn't a picture of your cell.)

Ok I removed my salt cell so I could take some pics and also to bring to lowes with me.

See below

img0496hcu.jpg

img0497q.jpg

img0498z.jpg

img0499nf.jpg

This is what Im talking about. I need to replace this with something that will allow me to connect a 1 1/2 pvc

img0500r.jpg

It looks to me that they are unions but you may need to buy for a larger Sch40 pipe and use adapters. That union looks to be at least a 3 inch. Take you unit with you to test for fit. You may need a HD Supply of other commercial parts warehouse. Lowes and HD don't always have the larger fittings.

I took my cell to lowes yesterday but they didnt have anything that worked. Luckily i drove past a pool store that was open and they had the part i needed.

See pic blow.
eIuRGXS4_original.jpg

Thanks guys for your help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.