phatocaster

LifeTime Supporter
May 9, 2011
Wilmington, N.C.
My cya was at 100. I drained 2/3 of the water out and filled. It was 60. Now ot at 90. Is rain causing this? I can't drain and fill it again. I will have a $500 water bill if I do. Any suggestions? If not I have a free 24 foot pool if someone will come and get it.

Re: CYA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like a testing error. Rain has absolutely no effect on CYA. The only way CYA enters a pool is if it is added.

So, I say, take a deep breath and back away. Wait til tomorrow with the sunlight and do another test.

My CYA was WELL OVER 100-probably 200-I drained my IG 12"-filled,drained,fillled, drained filled-my resulting cya was around 90-I have been able to maintain a FC of around 10-11. My water is crystal clear, but I do check my levels ALL the time-just to make sure I don't get near the minimum level of 6. The past month or so I've had alot of evaporation due to drought-I've been filling off the well and my cya has gone down since my drain to about 70-so....to make a long story short, 90 cya is do-able, but you have to be vigilent about testing and keeping your numbers in line.

Every evening I have been testing. Except for Thursday night. I hit the pool with powdered shock Wednesday night and then again on Thursday Morning before I left. I have been using 6% Bleach. 25 jugs in 3 weeks to be exact. Got back home Friday evening around 5 and the pool was as green as could be. The shock I got treated 17500 gal. I havent got the pool clear yet. Have barely seen the bottom once and that was maybe for just a couple of days. I quit backwashing so much thinking I am loosing filtering by doing so. I added DE to my sand filter today just to try that. I tested my water and here are my results. FC was 45 drops so that .90 i guess. CC was 2 drops to clear so that .04 I guess. PH is 8.0. ADT took 3 drop whwtever that means. TA is 90 as far as I can tell. I freakin color blind so I have to take my best guess as to when it turns red. and holding the vial at waist level the black dot went away at 90. I am using the Leslie K2006 FAS-DPD Test kit. I go to leslie to get R0870 DPD Powder and they have no idea what I am talking about. I said " It's in your kit". He calls someone and they discontinued that. They only use drops now. What's up with that? Where can I get the R0870 powder now? Just one thing after another.

Ok, first, just take a deep breath.... we are here and we all want to help you. You can order the R0870 DPD powder from TFtest kits at www.tftestkits.net. Take a look to see if you need any other chemicals at the same time, to save on shipping costs.

As for the CYA going up.... what is this "shock powder" you are using? Dichlor adds CYA, Cal-hypo does not. Please read the entire label and tell us what you are using.

I am confused by the drops to ppm values you are giving, it may be that I do not use that test kit. Someone else will have to jump in here for that part.

When you saw the bottom of the pool, was it clear of debris? If there is stuff down there you need to scoop it out with a leaf rake. It takes and amazing amount of chlorine to turn leaves and sticks to liquid.

What kind of powder "shock" were you adding too the pool? If it was dichlor that was adding CYA ... only use liquid chlorine.

Each drop in the chlorine test is 0.5 ... So 45 drops its a FC of 22.5

You can get the powder from tftestkits.net ... it is not discontinued.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone ;)

jblizzle said:
What kind of powder "shock" were you adding too the pool? If it was dichlor that was adding CYA ... only use liquid chlorine.

Each drop in the chlorine test is 0.5 ... So 45 drops its a FC of 22.5

You can get the powder from tftestkits.net ... it is not discontinued.

My kit is 0.2 per drop if I fill the vial to 25 ml. I can also use the 0.5 ppm test if I fill the vial to 10ml, but I don't use that one. Sorry if I sound like I venting....I' am LOL...Now I am settled and will the water a good test in the morning and post the results. Thanks for all of the replies.

Ah. There really is no need to use the 25ml sample ... save your reagent since 0.5ppm is close enough.

In your post you stated a FC of 0.9 ... in reality it is 9.0 with 45 drops and the larger water sample. And your CC was 0.4ppm. Just want to be sure you caught that.

This mornings results
FC 64 PPM
CC 4PPM
PH 7.6
TA100
CYA 70. Test it in the daylight. Kitchen lighting didnt do to well.
Water temp is 88

Pool is as Green as can be. Any suggestions than to test this evening and keep chlorine level at 28 ppm or better.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Given the previous confusion, how many drops did you use in the chlorine tests? Your stated levels are very high ... unless you added a LOT of chlorine.

I hit the pool with powdered shock Wednesday night and then again on Thursday Morning before I left. The shock I got treated 17500 gal.

What is in the powdered shock? Whatever it is could have contributed to raising your CYA.

Remember.. "shock" is not a product, it is a process. The process of maintaining your FC level (based on your CYA level) at shock levels. This corresponds to having a high enough FC to consistently kill anything growing in your pool. It is not a one time application of bleach or a "shock" product. Here is the chart to find your level... pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

anonapersona said:
Ok, first, just take a deep breath.... we are here and we all want to help you. You can order the R0870 DPD powder from TFtest kits at http://www.tftestkits.net. Take a look to see if you need any other chemicals at the same time, to save on shipping costs.

As for the CYA going up.... what is this "shock powder" you are using? Dichlor adds CYA, Cal-hypo does not. Please read the entire label and tell us what you are using.

I am confused by the drops to ppm values you are giving, it may be that I do not use that test kit. Someone else will have to jump in here for that part.

When you saw the bottom of the pool, was it clear of debris? If there is stuff down there you need to scoop it out with a leaf rake. It takes and amazing amount of chlorine to turn leaves and sticks to liquid.
That had me LMAO! Good one.

esim13 said:
If you're using the 10ml line then you divide the number of drops by 2 (or .5). So 7 drops would be 3.5 not 35. CC would be .5 not 5. I like to think of both the FC and CC drops as being divided by 2. It makes it so much easier.

OK Makes sense now. I thought that sounded high. I will use the calculator to see what I need to add to shock. Thanks.

What do you do when you are out of town and can't test the water? Pucks?

esim13 said:
I hit the pool with powdered shock Wednesday night and then again on Thursday Morning before I left. The shock I got treated 17500 gal.

What is in the powdered shock? Whatever it is could have contributed to raising your CYA.

Remember.. "shock" is not a product, it is a process. The process of maintaining your FC level (based on your CYA level) at shock levels. This corresponds to having a high enough FC to consistently kill anything growing in your pool. It is not a one time application of bleach or a "shock" product. Here is the chart to find your level... pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

I wasn't in town so I did what I thought was best. I wasn't able to be here to test each day. I will be out of town probably 4 days this week. Maybe have my neighbor dump a large container in the pool each day for me or toss a few pucks in the skimmer?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.