what to do with 15000 gallon pool?

Jul 21, 2012
Hi,

Just bought a house with a 15000 gallon pool and have drained it to change the vortex cover. We are in the midst of adding water back to the pool and have prepared 8 bags of salt. Can someone kindly help to advise what else is required? I read the forum and is getting more confused :?: :?: :?: of the terms and etc. I have with me 2 gallon of condition, Phosfree, and some muriatic acid.

Help anyone?

Thanks in advance!

Have you got a test kit? That's gonna be critical to get things balanced right from the start.

It's easy - fill it up, start the pump, test pH, CH, and TA. Figure FC and CYA are zeroes. Plug the numbers into the pool calculator, then adjust pH. What you add depends on the TA level - some chemicals are a better choice depending on readings. Measure out the stabilizer (conditioner) and add that, then add bleach to raise FC to 3 or so for now.

Really, the simplest thing to do is to get a set of readings as soon as the pool is full and filtering then post them in this thread and someone here can guide you. You won't need the phosfree; if you can return it, use the store credit to buy a test kit!

lizzyong said:
I read the forum and is getting more confused :?: :?: :?: of the terms and etc.
Welcome to TFP! Take a look at Pool School. The link is in the upper right corner of every page. There's a lot of info there, but it's broken down a little better than jumping into the threads. This will help you with terminology, etc., so that we're all having the same conversation.

Richard's got you covered on the test kit. (Nearly) every one of us has either a TF-100 from tftestkits.net or a Taylor K-2006. I personally don't know how I managed to keep the pool open before I started using mine. Pay the money now, it will save itself many times over in the long run.

Finally, keep all of your questions coming. As long as you are willing to learn and do the work, there are a ton of people who love to help.

Great. I have been told by the previous owner to bring a sample of water to Leslie's which is down the road from my place. So have been doing it so far. But for the re-filling of the pool, realised that they aint so helpful and thus, having problems with what to add and stuff. Will go get the test kit and update here... :) Thanks for all your help! :p

Help!

I just did a standard test with the test stripes that was left from the owner and the other issue seems to be no chlorine detected. The Salt water system prompted "No Flow" and the earliest the technician could come down is on saturday.

Is there anything i should do to keep the pool santised or etc? :cry:

Throw the strips away and get one of the recommended drop based kits (see link in my signature).

You can just add plain old bleach to keep the chlorine up.

What have you currently added?
What are you full test results (even if they must be from the pool store, which may only be slightly more reliable than the strips)?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.