Help!!! Installing swg as we speak

G

Hi I just bought a swag model cs8110. I am putting it together now. I'm about 2 hours from a filled pool. I just want to maker sure I do the right things for
The start I've read the pool scho and temp pool beginners. Now that I have a swag to attach to my 1000gph filter what chemicals do I add.
I know I am supposed to add salt as soo
As I fill the pool. But what else?
I have on hand alkalinity up and soda ash and metal free...
And of course a handy test kit (not strips)
Also what is the best way to add salt just dump in pool or mix with water first?

I'd get the pool balanced as a bleach pool first. Then add salt. Then fire the SWG off.

Are you filling from a well, or city water? You might not need metal free.

You will need to add CYA somehow, either via dichlor or as "stabilizer'.

Head over to Pool School and reread the sections on basic chemistry.

Once the pool is filled, filtering, and balanced as a bleach pool, then you can raise CYA to SWG levels and add salt. Scroll down to the highlighted post

Ok so I'm going to run my pool and put chlorine and cya.... Let it run for a few hours and test the water.. See where my levels are and then adjust accordingly...
Am I on the right track?

Yes. Don't forget to adjust pH, too.

If it was me, I'd take a set of readings (skip CYA - there won't be any in tap water) , use that in the Pool Calculator to get what I need to adjust pH to 7.4. Add that. Make sure pump is running. While you're at it, check and see what the clean pressure of your pump is. You'll need to know that some day. Then see what it says to get CYA up to 50. Measure that out into an old sock or nylon, tie it up, and hang it in front of a return. Give the pool a quick brush to help mix things, and give the sock a squeeze. By now, probably half an hour has elapsed. If not, go mix yourself a drink. Measure out how much bleach you'll need to get FC up to 5 and add that. Go blow up the pool toys, finish your drink or have another, and see if you're brave enough to get in that chilly water. If you aren't, I'm sure the kids are. They'll do a much better job mixing the water than you ever could with a brush.

Check the pH and FC again after you kick everyone out of the pool for the night. If things look okay, deal with it in the morning. If not, post here and we'll guide you. Tomorrow, run all the tests but CYA since it won't be dissolved yet. Repeat the pH and FC adjustments. By then, you're halfway to being a pro at testing.

Take a set of the readings before adding the chlorine too right?...
I'm assuming after that is balanced I would just turn on my swg and add salt according to pool school?
Ok I'm going for it..
Ill follow up with readings
Thanks so much richard!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.