Proper way to shock

Jun 7, 2012
Indianapolis, IN
Hello, I am kind of confused regarding the shocking process. I really do not feel I need to shock since my FC only dropped 3ppm in 24hrs but, there was a bad storm and lots of dirt and other debris as well as frogs starting to hang out at night, so I decided to shock the pool. My confusion is, if my CYA level is 20 and my target shock is 10ppm, how often do I need to add chlorine? It seems that if I raise my FC to shock level and my FC isn't dropping rapidly then I could possibly be adding too much chlorine. So, do I test every hour and if it drops below 10 then raise it back to 10, or, would I be safe to just raise it to 10 and see where my FC level is in the morning? I hope this isn't too confusing, I am a little confused myself about when to add chlorine to properly shock.

Here's an excerpt from the Pool School article on shocking a pool. To read the full article, click the link in my sig.

1. Measure the FC level
2. Add enough chlorine to bring FC up to shock level (or a little higher)
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 as frequently as practical, but not more than once per hour, and not less than twice a day, until:
  • A. CC is 0.5 or lower;
  • B. An overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less;
  • C. And the water is clear.

Bo, thanks! Can't believe I didn't understand that, I read over it like 4 times lol. Anyway, I think I am good. I raised my FC to shock level (10ppm), tested about an hour later and it dropped 3ppm within an hour so I raised it back to 10ppm, checked an hour later and it was still at 10ppm so I left it and went to bed. Woke up this morning and my FC was still at 10ppm.

Sounds like nothing is living in the pool since you passed the OCLT. Is your water also clear and your CC not more than 0.5ppm?

If so, you can let the FC drift down to normal levels and enjoy.

While your daily FC use is not too high, you could likely lower it further by raising the CYA up a little.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.