Flash coat on top?

jtech1

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 9, 2009
Anyone hear of using a flash coat on top of the shot gunite? I have seen this done to stabilize the dirt before laying rebar and shooting the shell, but a vendor told me they shoot the shell, then right after it is shot and formed, go over it again with another 1-2" of gunite. Why would they just not shoot it all at once? And won't this cause adhesion issues between the partially dried gunite and the next layer? Any purpose for doing it this way?

Sounds like an inexperienced sales guy. I would be very leery about having this fellow manage the project.

Unless a pool was shot so as to make the pool too deep, a shell is not given a second layer of gunite or shotcrete.

In cases where the pool is too deep, the depth of the error will dictate the corrective action needed. Additional steel might even be needed if the depth is over five inches too deep.

If a pool is too shallow, often the bottom must be ripped out, steel and all, redug by hand, and new steel tied to the walls is epoxied and a new floor is shot. Pretty rare since the inspections usually catch this before its shot.

Pneumatically shot concrete does not need a bond coat when the surface is properly prepped. A poured cement on top of a pneumatically shot one or poured one should be bond coated after prepping.

Scott

Thanks. I did not think there was any case where a second layer was put on, even just as a second pass on the day of shooting. Did not make sense to me. Not really any good way for a home owner to know how much is shot (thickness) except where there are fixtures set for a certain depth and you can see the dpeth it is set at beforehand. No real way to know if you are getting the thickness the contract calls for.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.