pepsiholic

LifeTime Supporter
May 23, 2009
Fairmont, WV
Just got a new liner and refilled pool, got balanced and the pump just stopped working! Checked the outlets they are fine, pump was working just fine and stopped. Feels hot, should I just wait to see if it cools down. I have no Idea what happened.

It might have lost prime. That is fairly common if the water level is a little too low and the skimmer forms a vortex that draws in air. Of course there are lots of more serious problems that could be going on instead, but lets hope it is one of the simple ones.

I think the motor is seized, really hot to the touch and a light humming noise. It's about 6 years old with no other problems guess I shouldn't complain, but I just got everything else right and now this...grrrr!!! If I decide to buy a new pump, maybe a 2 speed, anyone have any suggestions?

pepsiholic said:
I think the motor is seized, really hot to the touch and a light humming noise. It's about 6 years old with no other problems guess I shouldn't complain, but I just got everything else right and now this...grrrr!!! If I decide to buy a new pump, maybe a 2 speed, anyone have any suggestions?
I thought about upgrading when my pump did what you just described. But it was fastest to just disconnect the wiring and undo six bolts and replace the existing motor with an exact replacement. I let the pool store guys mess around swapping the plate and impeller when they sold me the motor. I think I was down maybe 4 hours.

Richard, funny thing. I unplugged the pump and let it cool down, just plugged it in and turned it on again and it started right up. I think I have an airleak somewhere, though. I see a little cyclone thingy by the return, but I don't know where to look for the air leak.

The vortex isn't in the skimmer, it forms right above the return and when it hits the return water coming out it makes a very loud annoying noise. Any suggestions on what might be causing that? I'm going to take the lid off the pump and check to O-ring again, I cleaned and greased it this spring but maybe it needs it again. I'll also check the plug on the pump, was planning on doing all this last night but got rained out.

If your return is the common eyeball type, you can loosen the collar a bit, by turning it counter clockwise, and then reposition the return, to avoid that vortex. A vortex like you describe, is usually just caused by the return's orientation, and not by a leak.

Tom

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.