Test kits questions

jcichocki

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 16, 2008
Burlington, WI
I have a Taylor k-2005 test kit currently (from the PB). I have read many posts that it would be better to upgrade to the k-2006 or the TF-100. I have looked at the Taylor web site. What is the major differences between these kits? Secondly, it appears that there is a slide type comparator? Is this a better way of picking the correct color match? I do struggle at times (my wife thinks that along with all my other deficiencies, I'm color blind too :-D ). Thanks.

Jeff

The ONLY difference between the K-2005 and the K-2006 is the chlorine tests. The K-2006 uses the FAS-DPD drop test for chlorine and is NOT a color matching test but a titration like the TA and CH tests. It will measure chlorine levels up to 50 ppm with a precicion of up to .2 ppm! You can get a separate FAS-DPD testkit from either Taylor or TFTestkits. TFTestkits uses Taylor reagents for their kits but give you good value for the money and very fast shipping!
Slide comparators are the most accurate BUT the most expensive color comparator. They use liquid samples and compensate for turbidity in your sample. They are more work (slower) to use also. The ONLY test that depends on a color comparator in either the K-2006 or the TF100 is the pH test. You can get a slide comparator ph testkit from Taylor for about $114. This is ONLY for the pH test. The kit number is K-1011-J. IMHO, the plastic comparator that comes with either the K-2006/K-2005 or the TF-100 is going to give you all the accuracy you need for pool pH testing and if you are having problems using it then invest in a GOOD electronic pH meter with 3 point calibration solutions and learn how to keep it properly calibrated how to maintain the electrode properly. (I am NOT talking about the pocket testers from such companies as Hanna and LaMotte, they are pretty much junk. I am talking about a portable meter with separate pH electrode such as this one from Oakton for just under $285 dollars.)

Thanks Waterbear! Question: How can you know all this stuff!!!??? Everyones knowledge is amazing on this site. And to think, I just wanted to swim :-D

OK, what do you know about the Taylor k-1741c kit? That is the number I got from the pool store.

jcichocki said:
Thanks Waterbear! Question: How can you know all this stuff!!!???
Guess I'm just an idiot savant when it comes to testkits. :wink:
Everyones knowledge is amazing on this site. And to think, I just wanted to swim :-D

OK, what do you know about the Taylor k-1741c kit? That is the number I got from the pool store.
This kit uses slide comparators for the DPD chlorine tests, pH, iron and copper. The TA, CH, and CYA tests are identical to the ones in the TF100. It also included the test for Magnesium hardness and total hardness which are not really important tests for pools The TA and CH are identical to the ones in the K-2005/K-2006 and TF100. The CYA test in the K-2005/2006 measures from 30 ppm to 100 ppm, the one in the TF100 and the K1741C measure from 20 ppm to 100 ppm.
IMHO, it is not worth the money for home use and the FAS-DPD chlorine test that I mentioned above is far superior to the DPD test included in this kit since it does not involve color matching and has a much wider range and better precision. The K-1741C is expensive at $383! Most people do not need iron and copper tests. If you do then you can get the standalone testkits for them.

Waterbear - again a million Thanks. I may have erred on that kit. I believe it was the k-1741 without the "C". That one doesn't have the copper and iron, correct? I told the pool store geniuses that I already removed the Nature 2 cartridge. My copper reading was 0.7.

jeff

jcichocki said:
Waterbear - again a million Thanks. I may have erred on that kit. I believe it was the k-1741 without the "C". That one doesn't have the copper and iron, correct?
Correct, same kit without the metal tests for only $301 and everything I said above still applies!
I told the pool store geniuses that I already removed the Nature 2 cartridge. My copper reading was 0.7.

jeff

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.