Is the VSRS a gimmick or is it worth having?

Garet Jax

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 3, 2012
Bel Air, MD
According to Pentair - the VSRS (Vaccuum Saftey Release System) is designed to determine a blockage in the piping or on the drain and will shut itself off when that happens.

It if shuts itself down, what is involved in getting it back running again? I have read some systems require a technician to come out and "fix" while some systems are easily remedied by the pool owner.

Thoughts?

I think I have also read that if you use a suction side cleaner, that can sometimes make the VSRS trip and shut the pump down.

Seems like more hassle than it is worth for me, but I am not sure of the legalities. If you design and build the floor drains correctly, it should not be required.

jblizzle said:
I think I have also read that if you use a suction side cleaner, that can sometimes make the VSRS trip and shut the pump down.

Seems like more hassle than it is worth for me, but I am not sure of the legalities. If you design and build the floor drains correctly, it should not be required.

One of the pool builders I am talking to has told me they use the VS 3050 (no VSRS), with one main drain (capped off with the MDX/R3) and a side wall drain. They seem to have a proprietary VSRS system that is easily restored once the pump or drain is blocked. Hard to tell how many false positives they will have.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.