Draining Water

Bjarni

LifeTime Supporter
May 26, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
I have an 9K gallon'ish fiberglass pool that the CYA is running at 80ppm. I need to drain about 1/2 of the water to bring that down to a more manageable level. My question is how to do this the easiest way?
I know that I can use a sump pump and pump it out, but I really don't want to buy one to use once or twice per year. I have a cartridge type set up with an air release valve on the top which when fully bleed puts out an impressive amount of water. Can I rig a hose to that air valve and let the pool pump drain it through that valve without damaging anything?

Thanks!

If you have a harborfreight nearby, I have heard people on the forum picking up sump pumps for less than $50.

The air vent will work, but likely be WAY slower than you think.

You can fill a hose with water and siphon using that method. The vacuum hose will work if you can get the end lower than the water level you want to get down to.

Thanks for the input guys.
My pool is IG, so there's really no way to get a siphon hose low enough to use that method. I will give the vent valve a shot if I can come up with a way to tap off of it and its not going to take forever.
It might be just about as easy to modify my return piping by adding a simple drain valve that I can hook a hose up to.

Pull the drain plug on the filter, close the skimmers, turn on the pump. Caution it will get wet at the equipment pad. :shock:

Alternatively screw a barbed fitting into the filter drain (it's probably 1.5" pipe) attach vacuum hose to barbed fitting and direct the water to some less inconvenient place.

Bjarni said:
Qwaxalot said:
Alternatively screw a barbed fitting into the filter drain (it's probably 1.5" pipe) attach vacuum hose to barbed fitting and direct the water to some less inconvenient place.
This is also a pretty good idea. Let me see what I have...thanks
Or get a backwash hose, they come up to 100' lengths. Roll it out and get rid of any kinks before you start the water, because it will come out so fast you won;t believe it, and it won't always smooth out the kinks; it may blow the hose. Ask me how I know. :oops:

And hang on to that thing, because it will be like a firehose. When I last backwashed, I stationed my wife at the pump switch while I was around the corner on the front lawn. I used my headset and caller her on her cell phone so I was able to have her shut it down instantly when I told her.

Richard320 said:
When I last backwashed, I stationed my wife at the pump switch while I was around the corner on the front lawn. I used my headset and caller her on her cell phone so I was able to have her shut it down instantly when I told her.
LOL, sounds like a Delta Force maneuver. Too funny.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.