"hidden algae"

Jul 10, 2012
My water has been cloudy lately so I've been using bleach, running pump 24/7, cl level has been staying elevated above 5 testing 3x day, pH is 7.5, brushing and vacuuming. My pool is slowly clearing. 2 days ago I noticed something on the skimmer hose. I took off the hose and it was green algae. I soaked it in bleach then scrubbed with a brush. This morning I thought I would check the ladder because of all the crevices and "hidden places". Sure enough on the underside of the steps and several of the crevices where the poles go through the steps was algae. I cleaned it with bleach and put the other side of the ladder in the pool. Since I turned the ladder around, should the algae be killed since it will be in the sun and not in the water? Or should I just not put that side back in the water?

"cl level has been staying elevated above 5" indicates to me that you're using a color-matching test or maybe test strips.

There are two problems here: you don't really know the FC level;
You don't know if 5 is even high enough because you don't know what the CYA level is.

Off to with you!

Sunlight won't kill algae. Active chlorine - unbound to CYA - is what kills it.

I forgot to mention I was using trichlor pucks in the skimmer and the floater, now just in the floater. I'm using the color matching right now until the Taylor gets here (ordered it Tuesday should be here soon) :) I am also using a skimmer sock (switching it out about every 2 hrs during the day) and switching the filters 3x a day. Since I cleaned the ladder with bleach then I should be ok then as far as killing the algae on the ladder?

tweet87 said:
I forgot to mention I was using trichlor pucks in the skimmer and the floater, now just in the floater. I'm using the color matching right now until the Taylor gets here (ordered it Tuesday should be here soon) :) I am also using a skimmer sock (switching it out about every 2 hrs during the day) and switching the filters 3x a day. Since I cleaned the ladder with bleach then I should be ok then as far as killing the algae on the ladder?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.